Primary choice of home defense weapon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primary weapon for home defense?

• Pistol (9mm and smaller)

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • Pistol (357Sig and larger)

Votes: 55 22.2%
  • Shotgun (any action)

Votes: 86 34.7%
  • Rifle (so-called "assault", AR15, semi-auto)

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Rifle (bolt,single shot, other action)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Depends on situtation

Votes: 37 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.2%

• Total voters

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll grab whatever is closer depending on what room I am in. In the bedroom it will be a 12 gauge with 00 buck. I want to be able to shoot through certain walls to reach the BG if hes hiding or attempting entry of the bedroom I am in.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll grab whatever is closer depending on what room I am in. In the bedroom it will be a 12 gauge with 00 buck. I want to be able to shoot through certain walls to reach the BG if hes hiding or attempting entry of the bedroom I am in.

Me too. If I'm in the bedroom, it'll be the 12 gauge. If I'm walking around the house, I have the Bersa 9mm on me. That's why I voted "depends" in my own poll.
I even go as far as taking the pistol in the bathroom with me while I'm showering.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In close quarters nothing equals a shot gun and double 00 buck shot.... And it you say anything different you’re full of BS or you dont have a clue in my opinion.

And what qualifications to you possess to make such a statement? Please enlighten us.

For target destruction I don't disagree. My shotgun with 00buck is #3 on my list of guns to grab behind #1 high cap 9mm pistol followed by AR15 with 30rnd mag.

I would need to carry an infant to safety so firing my 12ga effectively one handed is not something easily done. It's a pump so that is working against me too.

This. If choosing a long gun, I'd much rather have an AR with low recoil and high capacity, that can be effectively fired with one hand if it became necessary. A high velocity rifle round has excellent terminal effect and is much easier to handle and fire rapidly than a shotgun for all but the most skilled shooters. With the correct ammo (i.e., Hornady TAP), there's much less chance of overpenetration and risk to others than with either shotgun or handgun rounds.

I still rely primarily on a handgun for HD, specifically for greater mobility. I don't have kids in the house and where I live, overpenetration isnt a great concern. That said, I've trained to a high level with a handgun. If my skills were less with a pistol, I'd readily opt for the AR as primary. Here's my HD setup:

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_DSC_1157.jpg

Glock 21 SF with night sights, Surefire X300 with DG switch and 17+1 capacity. Ammo is issued 230gr Gold Dot.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This. If choosing a long gun, I'd much rather have an AR with low recoil and high capacity, that can be effectively fired with one hand if it became necessary. A high velocity rifle round has excellent terminal effect and is much easier to handle and fire rapidly than a shotgun for all but the most skilled shooters. With the correct ammo (i.e., Hornady TAP), there's much less chance of overpenetration and risk to others than with either shotgun or handgun rounds.

I still rely primarily on a handgun for HD, specifically for greater mobility. I don't have kids in the house and where I live, overpenetration isnt a great concern. That said, I've trained to a high level with a handgun. If my skills were less with a pistol, I'd readily opt for the AR as primary. Here's my HD setup:

Glock 21 SF with night sights, Surefire X300 with DG switch and 17+1 capacity. Ammo is issued 230gr Gold Dot.
I dont want to kill the neighbors using a rifle. I'm out in a rual area and the neighbors are far apart (400' maybe) but I dont want a round exiting my house period. I too have an AR and your saying thats safe to use without penetrating a window and going next door?
I also have a model 94 30-30 but that would not be a first choice either.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can use 4 shoot or larger if your having to worry about someone in another room. 4 shoot will not penatrate two sheets of sheet rock, or so I have been informed.

You should really take a little bit of time and read this site...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

There is a ton of info on penetration of various rounds and debunks quite a few "gun myths".

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AR-15's are the go to guns in our home defense plan. I think Jerry summed it up well in his post. When the racking of a shotgun causes bad guys to pee their pant's crowd can provide empirical data to verify their claims then I might listen. IMHO limited capacity and difficulty to run make the shotgun my fall back.

Between the wife and I we have 2 rifles with a fully loaded mag and 3 speres per rifle with Hornady V-max loads. All we have to do is move the selector to fire. No tatctical teddy antics giving away our positon by making excessive noise chambering a shotgun Round.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont want to kill the neighbors using a rifle. I'm out in a rual area and the neighbors are far apart (400' maybe) but I dont want a round exiting my house period. I too have an AR and your saying thats safe to use without penetrating a window and going next door?
I also have a model 94 30-30 but that would not be a first choice either.

I'm saying that the proper 5.56 round for the intended application has less chance of overpenetration that either a 9mm or a shotgun with buckshot. I'd never use birdshot for HD, ever.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Clay that rifle with a suitable defensive round will not penetrate any more than your handgun. By the time a rifle round goes through a couple of layers of drywall and smacks the brick exterior wall I have zero worries about harming my neighbors.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Clay that rifle with a suitable defensive round will not penetrate any more than your handgun. By the time a rifle round goes through a couple of layers of drywall and smacks the brick exterior wall I have zero worries about harming my neighbors.

I agree with that but I have a lot of glass it could penetrate. Both the front of my house and rear have a lot of glass with houses in sight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom