Primary choice of home defense weapon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primary weapon for home defense?

• Pistol (9mm and smaller)

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • Pistol (357Sig and larger)

Votes: 55 22.2%
  • Shotgun (any action)

Votes: 86 34.7%
  • Rifle (so-called "assault", AR15, semi-auto)

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Rifle (bolt,single shot, other action)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Depends on situtation

Votes: 37 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.2%

• Total voters

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with that but I have a lot of glass it could penetrate. Both the front of my house and rear have a lot of glass with houses in sight.

Interesting thing about handgun ammo is because of it's lower velocity and decreased expansion they tend to penetrate further than high velocity rifle rounds.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Research .223 penetration on Sheetrock, it Frags into many pieces after the first 2 layers(one interior wall) and all those pieces don't go far
Good to know but again, what does it do when it penetrates a double pane glass window?

But my shotgun is loaded with high velocity 00 buck shot and I can do more damage with it, period. All I have to do is grab it and release the safety. No pumping or other noise other than the report.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I'm not trying To make this a pissing contest either a shotgun or a rifle/carbine will get the job done. As for 2x Payne glass I've never seen that test. Whatever you choose be proficient with it!

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I'm not trying To make this a pissing contest either a shotgun or a rifle/carbine will get the job done. As for 2x Payne glass I've never seen that test. Whatever you choose be proficient with it!

This. I was simply trying to remind some to consider over penetration in a primary weapon. Interesting points made about glass.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Penetration - correct me if i am wrong, i am assuming that an exterior brick wall will stop my pistol round, well it might get thru but be disfigured and not have full velocity which means it might not travel very far. But the AR round, will it not have more of a chance to get thru that exterior brick wall and retain enough velocity to be lethal?

Are there safer AR rounds for home protection? Are there safer rounds for handgun for home protection than standard hollow points.

My opinion in comparing a shotgun to a pistol for home protection, and throwing out the penetration issue for a moment, is that with a 12 gauge 00 buck, 2 3/4" shell, you have 9, .32 bullets.
With a 3" 12 gauge 00 buck you have 15 or 16, .32 caliber bullets in the shell.

So for example, if i shoot a bad guy in my home with two rounds from a 38 special or 9mm, i have shot him twice with a .357 (or whatever is the correct size) bullets at what, 800 - 1200 fps and have two wound tracks. If I shoot him twice with two 00 buckshot 12 gauge rounds, traveling at probably 1200 FPS, i have put 18, .32 caliber rounds in him. Now he has 18 wound tracks. Each shot covers about 3" so I have approximately 3" + 3" = 6" of tissue tore up. I believe this is why they say a shotgun is a better man stopper than a pistol.

I also am pretty sure that I am going to be more steady/accurate with that long two handed shotgun than a pistol.

Could it be that a pistol is more sexy than a shotgun and it gets more attention?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the first weapon you go to in a home defense situation?

Poll incoming

have come to conclusion the best home defense weapon is the one on your person.
home invasions more often than not involve brute force with element of surprise.

logic says you may not have time to chase down your favorite shotgun. but your CCW should be comfortable enough to be on your person almost at all times. which is 340PD with .357 magnum

sure if I've get luxury of a warning... Scattergun technologies border gun or Glock 17 both with aiming lights.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys that like the AR's and magnum pistols for HP... have probably never shot one inside a closed room or a house w/o wearing hearing protection. As loud as they are on the open range while wearing hearing protection, they are several times louder inside a closed room where the blast pressure isn't easily vented. They make my ears ring when shooting from under a covered out-door bay.

If you have a child any where close, you will most likely cause them permanent hearing damage. Try setting off a little M-80 firecracker inside your home.. then imagine that sound doubled because you will be tripping a sonic boom with the speed of your bullets exceedng the speed of sound by 2-3x's. The speed of sound is approx. 768 MPH! 5.56 NATO rounds run +2,500 MPH! Officers training in shooting houses wear good hearing protection and it can still give them severe headaches.

I have the electronic hearing protection next to my AR.. and my family has ear protection in the safe room, but I wouldn't reach for a AR in a immediate danger situation. I would chose it if I had someone trying to get into the house and I had time to put my hearing protection on. My AR is loaded with .55 gr Hornady ballistic tip varmint loads. They virtually explode on contact with hard objects.

My 1st choice of HP is the G23 .40 with a CT laser in the mattress holster on the edge of the bed within easy reach....that gets me to the pump shotgun w/ a mounted flashlight in the corner mere feet away.... that eventually might end up being swapped for the AR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom