Primary choice of home defense weapon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primary weapon for home defense?

• Pistol (9mm and smaller)

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • Pistol (357Sig and larger)

Votes: 55 22.2%
  • Shotgun (any action)

Votes: 86 34.7%
  • Rifle (so-called "assault", AR15, semi-auto)

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Rifle (bolt,single shot, other action)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Depends on situtation

Votes: 37 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.2%

• Total voters

OV1kenobi

Marksman
Reaction score
I almost chose shotgun, and would have if it were with me at any given moment, in any given room in the house.

However, reality being what it is, I depend on whatever is salted around the house. So, I therefore chose "Depends On Situation."

As much as I love any handgun I own, still, I would prefer a 12-gauge short-barreled shotgun over anything else if the glass should shatter with a resounding crash followed by an ominous "Bump In The Night." Perhaps even accompanied with a few profane vulgarities taking Our Lord and Savior and Our Lady The Blessed Mother Mary's name in vain, along with the insinuation of some sort of incestuous relationship with one's own mother.

God forbid, but even sending out a column of lead #6 shot would be deadly at close range and better than sending a high velocity bullet on its way to who knows where.

Yes, in case you haven't guessed already, I am a Bible Thumpin' Papist and a "Thrall Of Rome."

Also, now and then, I like chicken sandwiches.

Last edited:

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a lot of good point raised in this thread.

The hearing protection and sound is a good point but I dont know the solution for it other than a suppressed weapon. Hearing protection worn prior to engaging the BG could hamper my ability to effectively locate him.

I have several guns staged throughout my home, so like others have posed, it will depend on where I am and how much notice I have.

As far as over-penetration and neighbors are concerned, i think that in a situation like we are considering here my first thought is going to be protecting my family, and probably not going to worry about what to me seems like a remote possibility (an errant round travels though multiple layers of glass wood, drywall, etc. and then happen to hit an unintended target over 100 yrd away.). Not saying it could never happen but I am going to put the probability is remote. Since I dont have kids in the house now, I dont have to worry about the one room away scenario.

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted Pistol (357 Sig and larger). My go to is my 1911 w/crimson trace grips. Although my wife's is a .38 spl snubby w/crimson trace grips. When something goes bump in the night we both reach for the gunvault, where they are both kept when not on our person. I would prefer a shotty, but with a 3 yr old in the house keeping one accessible is problematic.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a lot of good point raised in this thread.

The hearing protection and sound is a good point but I dont know the solution for it other than a suppressed weapon. Hearing protection worn prior to engaging the BG could hamper my ability to effectively locate him.

For hearing protection, electronic ear protecting is the only way to go in my opinion. My local Walmart just marked the Winchester ones down to $19, so I may pick up another pair or two. I paid $25 for the ones I already have. You can turn up the sound so you can hear very well, yet they instantly dampen loud sounds like gun shots. I have several in the house and I use one on the range. Of course not every home invasion situation would allow you the time to put on ear protection. I try to keep one near my bed where I have a .40 pistol.

If you turn the volume up, you can hear better than you would think. When I go to the range, it is in a remote area and I'm often there by myself [it is the kind of range where they give you a key to the gate and you can go any time you want]... so I will turn my ear protection volume up enough so that I can hear if anyone drives up behind me while I'm shooting. Last time I went, I had been there a while and started hearing two men talking, I couldn't understand them, I just knew they were there.. I looked around and couldn't see anyone. After a bit, I finally located them... they were at the office building some 100 yrds away to my rear, but their voices were carrying just enough on the warm clear day for the ear protection to pick up and amplify their voices. I thought that was pretty good.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I almost chose shotgun, and would have if it were with me at any given moment, in any given room in the house.

However, reality being what it is, I depend on whatever is salted around the house. So, I therefore chose "Depends On Situation."

As much as I love any handgun I own, still, I would prefer a 12-gauge short-barreled shotgun over anything else if the glass should shatter with a resounding crash followed by an ominous "Bump In The Night." Perhaps even accompanied with a few profane vulgarities taking Our Lord and Savior and Our Lady The Blessed Mother Mary's name in vain, along with the insinuation of some sort of incestuous relationship with one's own mother.

God forbid, but even sending out a column of lead #6 shot would be deadly at close range and better than sending a high velocity bullet on its way to who knows where.

Yes, in case you haven't guessed already, I am a Bible Thumpin' Papist and a "Thrall Of Rome."

Also, now and then, I like chicken sandwiches.
OK ...First the #6 shot has to go ...00 buckx3 followed by 1 oz slugsx3...then you can alternate at you discretion from there.
Second...dont send lead down the hall cussing...you dont know whos there..Family..
Third an AR with a light (should be on shotgun too)...is a good choice...control
But I vote what ever I can use to get to the next one ..or mag..or knife.....ad infinitum
And welcome, and congrats on the BTB an TOR....lots to learn here!

Latest posts

Top Bottom