Primary choice of home defense weapon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primary weapon for home defense?

• Pistol (9mm and smaller)

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • Pistol (357Sig and larger)

Votes: 55 22.2%
  • Shotgun (any action)

Votes: 86 34.7%
  • Rifle (so-called "assault", AR15, semi-auto)

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Rifle (bolt,single shot, other action)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Depends on situtation

Votes: 37 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.2%

• Total voters

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK ...First the #6 shot has to go ...00 buckx3 followed by 1 oz slugsx3...then you can alternate at you discretion from there.
Second...dont send lead down the hall cussing...you dont know whos there..Family..
Third an AR with a light (should be on shotgun too)...is a good choice...control
But I vote what ever I can use to get to the next one ..or mag..or knife.....ad infinitum
And welcome, and congrats on the BTB an TOR....lots to learn here!

I think it might of been a shot at me hence the chicken sandwich comment.

Not to confuse things but send that column of #6 down the hall all you want, but there is too much empirical data where people shot square in the chest with bird shot at 6 to 10 feet have not only survived but walked themselves to the ambulance or drove themselves to the ER.

I'd pray for OV1kenobi but since I am somewhere between an atheist and a wacko alien conspiracy theorist when it comes to my beliefs in supreme beings I'll just wish him luck if he ever has to fight for his life and uses inadequate tools based upon faulty suppositions.

Kaw77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have pistols located around the house as well as rifles and a shotgun; in all likelihood a pistol would be reached first and depending upon my perception of what was happening , possibly long arms would be employed; NOT to derail this discussion but to add to the sub-thread regarding hearing protection > you all may want to look into the phenomonon called 'auditory exclusion' both Masaad Ayoob and Chuck Taylor atest to its existance and vaildity. I am including a link on an article I found
http://www.atlanticsignal.com/mh3/pages/tpoae.html
if you choose not to subscribe to the idea - why not amplified ear protection that kills the sound impulse? yet can amplify sounds in general -I use them routinely at the range

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.cutlerycorner.net_images_products_z_h_8133.jpg

loaded with ball bearings...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have pistols located around the house as well as rifles and a shotgun; in all likelihood a pistol would be reached first and depending upon my perception of what was happening , possibly long arms would be employed; NOT to derail this discussion but to add to the sub-thread regarding hearing protection > you all may want to look into the phenomonon called 'auditory exclusion' both Masaad Ayoob and Chuck Taylor atest to its existance and vaildity. I am including a link on an article I found
http://www.atlanticsignal.com/mh3/pages/tpoae.html
if you choose not to subscribe to the idea - why not amplified ear protection that kills the sound impulse? yet can amplify sounds in general -I use them routinely at the range

FWIW, auditory exclusion means you will not consciously hear the gunshots. That doesn't mean hearing damage won't occur.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In close quarters nothing equals a shot gun and double 00 buck shot.... And it you say anything different you’re full of BS or you dont have a clue in my opinion.

Here's a clue: a two foot long gun in close quarters in not near as maneuverable as a handgun. The barrel enters a room before you do. Though it seems that you're all Rambo-like and all, but if a person even if they're smaller than you gets close enough, you're shotgun can easily be removed from the fight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom