Primary choice of home defense weapon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primary weapon for home defense?

• Pistol (9mm and smaller)

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • Pistol (357Sig and larger)

Votes: 55 22.2%
  • Shotgun (any action)

Votes: 86 34.7%
  • Rifle (so-called "assault", AR15, semi-auto)

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Rifle (bolt,single shot, other action)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Depends on situtation

Votes: 37 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.2%

• Total voters

WAGS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alot of typical, some contradicting, replies that always are said with this topic of conversation.. Like the 'racking of shotgun' will scare off a robber. Everytime I hear that phrase I think of 2 scenarios, either the gun wasn't condition 1 to begin with(which is pointless to me), or the gun was condition 1 and you just extracted a perfectly good round..

I hate the "what round will/wont penetrate" arguments... my theory is, spend more time at the range focusing on markmanship skills, more time at courses firing under stress etc, and that should deviate away from, or atleast lower the possibilities of you missing your target and that *insert'arguing'round'type* round blowing thru the wall killing your 6 year old..

Now to the topic at hand, I vote depends on situation.. there is a handgun(varrying calibers) stashed in every bedroom, kitchen, and livingroom.. 2 of those bedrooms also have a 12guage in them. So depending on what room i'm in, if the threat is immediate, i'm going to that gun in that room. Now on several occasions, we are upstairs sleeping at night, and I wake up thinking to myself "what the hell did I just hear?", the first thing I'm doing is sending the dog downstairs, she is no k9 trained shepard, but if there ever was somebody in the house, based off what room she is barking in downstairs at least gives me an idea of what my next action is..

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My options are limited, I have 3 young daughters at home. I Don't keep weapons randomly stashed.

Here's my list:

1. Situational Awareness with 200+ lumen FL :wink2:

Accompanied with:

2. Glock 23 with Winchester 180gr. PDX1 and 4 grains of HP-38

~or~

3. Model 66 2.5" with Hornady .38 special 158 gr. HP XTP and light charge (3.5 grains) of HP-38

4.5.6. } Tied depending on location :J-frame .38, Kel-Tec .380, Wife's Glock 27.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
www.cutlerycorner.net_images_products_z_h_8133.jpg

loaded with ball bearings...

1000 internet points for you sir. BRAVO.

I would probably use a shotty, JMO. I think shot placement matters more than the round.

Wild Weasel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before bed time it's the 9 that I'm carrying, then to bed sw 5904 on bed side table next to the shotty that the first 2 is number four then when graduate up to 00. If they get through that they win.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me buck nekkid with my twig n' berries flopping in all it's glory. I figure me sprinting full blast towards the hostile threat with my arms open buck nekkid and yelling "RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!" is all I would need to stop the threat completely...

Latest posts

Top Bottom