Principle Three: Aggressiveness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you are in fear for your life, if you think the only way that you will survive is to act.

The fact that you were able to use other means (other than deadly force) to make it out of that situation shows that you probably did the correct thing.

If you are able to walk away from a fight to safety, like you were advised, then you always should.

Its when you have two choices, act or die.

Well said Mike!!!:teach:

smokeyokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Allow me to pose this because I am interested in the response.

I believe that response in a offensive attack needs to be meet with violence of action. However, anger I believe clouds judgement and effects your decision making ability. I believe with training and proper mindset you can react with violence of action without anger.

Just my two cents FWIW.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Allow me to pose this because I am interested in the response.

I believe that response in a offensive attack needs to be meet with violence of action. However, anger I believe clouds judgement and effects your decision making ability. I believe with training and proper mindset you can react with violence of action without anger.

Just my two cents FWIW.

Yes and no. My usual answer is that you should not expend any emotional energy on your attacker. He is an obstacle between you and your objective, which is to go home safely. As such, you should move through the obstacle enroute to your objective as smoothly and efficiently as possible.

However, there's something to be said fir righteous indignation. Rage can lend otherwise untapped energy that you can bring to bear on your opponent. Adreanaline is dumped to the point that it's a force multiplier for your gross motor skills.

In other words, sometimes its best to be a gentle wind, at others its best to be the hurricane. You should have both available on tap and let your OODA loop and instincts determine which to bring to bear.

smokeyokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes and no. My usual answer is that you should not expend any emotional energy on your attacker. He is an obstacle between you and your objective, which is to go home safely. As such, you should move through the obstacle enroute to your objective as smoothly and efficiently as possible.

However, there's something to be said fir righteous indignation. Rage can lend otherwise untapped energy that you can bring to bear on your opponent. Adreanaline is dumped to the point that it's a force multiplier for your gross motor skills.

In other words, sometimes its best to be a gentle wind, at others its best to be the hurricane. You should have both available on tap and let your OODA loop and instincts determine which to bring to bear.

GTG I totally respect your insights (always have) and appreciate your response but this begs another question. Can you be a gentle wind or a hurricane without anger. Me personally I can be very violent without anger. I have also had personal experience with anger causing me to lose focus on what I need to do to win a fight. I guess it can be different for everybody but really that is why I asked the first question. I am no Physiologist but I think the adrenaline dump is going to happen in an attack whether you get angry or not.

Thanks for your response.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
GTG I totally respect your insights (always have) and appreciate your response but this begs another question. Can you be a gentle wind or a hurricane without anger. Me personally I can be very violent without anger. I have also had personal experience with anger causing me to lose focus on what I need to do to win a fight. I guess it can be different for everybody but really that is why I asked the first question. I am no Physiologist but I think the adrenaline dump is going to happen in an attack whether you get angry or not.

Thanks for your response.
Can you expand on what I put in boldface?
when have you been this way?
I think you may be equating aggressiveness with violence.

smokeyokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you expand on what I put in boldface?
when have you been this way?
I think you may be equating aggressiveness with violence.

Mike first let me say I respect you as well and have enjoyed your opinions.

Question 1. I think simply put if you are required to act you can be violent without anger. If you were attacked by some one unarmed and you are unarmed would you strike back. I think you would. I would to and I would strike back to inflict enough damage to end the conflict hopefully. That would be violent.

Question 2. No I will not answer this on an internet forum for obvious reasons and it is not germane to the discussion.

Your last statement "I think you may be equating aggressiveness with violence" by definition they are not to far apart.

Violence is the expression of physical or verbal force against self or other, compelling action against one's will on pain of being hurt.

Aggression (also called combativeness) refers to behavior between members of the same species that is intended to cause pain or harm. Predatory or defensive behavior between members of different species is not normally considered "aggression." Aggression takes a variety of forms among humans and can be physical, mental, or verbal.

Again just my two cents FWIW.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I do see where you are coming from, and if you can win a fight without any outward expression of anger and rage, then you won. Simple as that.

I guess if I need to defend myself, I would want the anger to come through to my attacker immediately, before they get my counter; whatever it is.
For a wolf, preying on sheep, finding a sheepdog with his teeth bared can only add a psychological advantage and bust out your attackers OODA loop.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once attacked I think Anger or total submission would come out in most folks that have had little hand to hand training, and Aggression would come out in those that have a history of hand to hand training. The lady that was attacked at Quail Springs mall recently had anger, and fear of her attacker and fought back, she lived to tell about it to. The trick is when to turn the anger on, as soon as you realize you are under attack ( and that can be way before a physical confrontation) and then turn it off once the THREAT has stopped, either by your doing or there sudden realization that they picked the wrong person, or you have escaped. This was quite evident in a recent drug store robbery. The start of the anger was fine but it's up to a Judge and Jury to see if when it was turned off is okay. I for one would hate to pay that attorney fee.

This is were "good" force on force training can come in play, I remember being scared to death then angry and finally aggressive then calm down and talk to the police to explain what had happened, in the CQT class I did.

If you have any question on how you would act, or just really want to know how you will act or preform go take Mike Brown's CQT class.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once attacked I think Anger or total submission would come out in most folks that have had little hand to hand training, and Aggression would come out in those that have a history of hand to hand training. The lady that was attacked at Quail Springs mall recently had anger, and fear of her attacker and fought back, she lived to tell about it to. The trick is when to turn the anger on, as soon as you realize you are under attack ( and that can be way before a physical confrontation) and then turn it off once the THREAT has stopped, either by your doing or there sudden realization that they picked the wrong person, or you have escaped. This was quite evident in a recent drug store robbery. The start of the anger was fine but it's up to a Judge and Jury to see if when it was turned off is okay. I for one would hate to pay that attorney fee.

This is were "good" force on force training can come in play, I remember being scared to death then angry and finally aggressive then calm down and talk to the police to explain what had happened, in the CQT class I did.

If you have any question on how you would act, or just really want to know how you will act or preform go take Mike Brown's CQT class.
i've never had " hand to hand traing" and have responded to being attacked aggressively and decisively on many occasions in my life,so i don't buy the "you wont be able to respond unless you've had training" theory

smokeyokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

S, I think you are right on in that first sentence.

The lady at Quail..... I have read it here and also got the email and I have no way to confirm it is actually her writing. But if it is she did the right things but I dont remember any mention of anger. If it is factual she seemed to have reacted quite systematically. I feel she was very lucky and perhaps her prayers were answered and that is why she escaped with her life.

The Pharmacy shooting could be a great example but I dont know if anger entered into that equation but I suspect it may have and to my point.

Again just trying to keep the conversation lively here. I dont think the off button on anger is found to easily and when it is found it is like a centrifuge it takes a while before it quits spinning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom