Pro-NFA County Sheriffs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In your experience...

Which county Sheriffs have a history of being reasonable in signing off on NFA applications?

Which have a history of being unreasonable and won't sign off?

somarsmi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma county is good to go... I thought there was a thread but I had no luck finding it. I have heard Tulsa county is a no go but I don't know that for sure. It's a good choice to get a trust through Winton law firm in Edmond.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I understand the law correctly, I don't think they have much choice anymore. I think they could still make it difficult, but I think they'd lose.

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
Chapter 53 - Manufacture, Sale, and Wearing of Weapons
Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971
Section 1289.30 - Certification of Transfer or Making of Firearm - Appeal
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

A. When certification by a chief law enforcement officer is required by federal law or regulation for the transfer or making of a firearm, the chief law enforcement officer shall, within fifteen (15) days of receipt of a request for certification, provide such certification if the applicant is not prohibited by law from receiving the firearm or the applicant is not the subject of a proceeding that could result in the applicant being prohibited by law from receiving the firearm. If the applicant is prohibited by law from receiving the firearm or the applicant is the subject of a proceeding that could result in such prohibition, the chief law enforcement officer shall provide written notification to the applicant that certification has been denied and state the reasons for such findings.

B. An applicant whose request for certification is denied may appeal the decision of the chief law enforcement officer to the district court that is located in the county in which the applicant resides. The court shall review the decision of the chief law enforcement officer to deny the certification de novo. If the court finds that the applicant is not prohibited by law from receiving the firearm or the applicant is not the subject of a proceeding that could result in such prohibition, the court shall order the chief law enforcement officer to issue the certification and shall award court costs and reasonable attorney fees to the applicant.

C. For purposes of this section:

1. "Certification" means the participation and assent of the chief law enforcement officer necessary under federal law for the approval of the application to transfer or make a firearm;

2. "Chief law enforcement officer" means any official that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, or any successor agency, identifies by regulation or otherwise as eligible to provide any required certification for applications to transfer or make a firearm; and

3. "Firearm" shall have the same meaning as provided for in the National Firearms Act, subsection a of Section 5845 of Title 26 of the United States Code.

Latest posts

Top Bottom