Project Appleseed at TCGC in Norman, Oct. 20-21, 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Project Appleseed is returning to the Tri City Gun Club in Norman on July 20-21. Join us in our mission of turning this country back into a nation of Riflemen. If you haven't been to an Appleseed before, you might ask, "what exactly do you mean by "Rifleman?" Be assured we are not talking about a person who simply owns a rifle. That might make you a rifleman by the dictionary definition, with a lower case "r," but we are looking for a lot more. Our definition of Rifleman is a person who not only owns a rifle, but who is proficient in its use -- a person who can take that rifle, with nothing more than iron sights and standard ball ammo, and consistently hit a man-sized target out to 500 yards from field positions, using nothing but the sling that is attached to it for support. That means being able to shoot to a 4 minute of angle standard. That also means being able to score Expert on the Army Qualification Test.

The curriculum of an Appleseed weekend marksmanship clinic is designed to teach all the skills necessary to do these things. We use an older, harder version of the AQT as our benchmark. Anyone who scores Expert is awarded our Rifleman patch, and an invitation to join us in our mission of making Riflemen. There is also a strong history oriented component to Project Appleseed. We believe part of restoring our heritage of marksmanship is remembering our forefathers who began the tradition, and who used it to great effect in defense of our liberty during the Revolutionary War. To that end, we tell the amazing true story of the Battle of Lexington and Concord at every Appleseed. This is the first battle of the Revolutionary War; the day when the citizens of Massachusetts Bay Colony took to arms and defeated the professional British military when it threatened their liberty.

Come be a part of the restoration of our nation's heritage. Bring any safe rifle and we will teach you to be a better shot with it. We will be using 25m reduced size targets at this event, so a .22 LR will work fine, as will any center fire rifle. Shooters will find that a rifle that loads from detachable mags or stripper clips will be best for keeping up with the time requirements on the AQT. Tube feeds will be fine as well. An adjustable 2-point sling is also highly recommended, as sling supported positions are a big part of the instruction.

Learn more about the event and sign up here: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=201

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might be a dumb question, but is it allowed and logistically feasible to bring both a 10/22 and a AR15?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, definitely. If you're on a budget, you can go through most of the instruction and drills with the .22, then switch to the center fire to see how everything transfers over.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
henschman,
I'm in.
I already signed up on the Appleseed website.
See you there.
Can we use a rifle with a scope? or do we have to have Iron sites?
If we bring both a .22 and a centerfire, will we get a chance to calibrate/set/dial in our sites?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My unsolicited 2 cents: Even though optics are allowed, I would shoot irons. One of the huge benefits of participating in an Appleseed is experiencing a "back to basics" shooting experience. Shooting positions, natural point of aim, proper sight picture etc...

I'd shoot it with irons until you earn your Rifleman patch and then run it with optics.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not on the website, but I can't stress it enough...use iron sights.

But after that, if you follow the "what to bring"...you'll be sittin' pretty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom