Project finally complete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last October I picked up a set of M4 small arms racks off of Craigslist from a individual in Norman. Both were incomplete and in fairly rough shape. The M4's are hard to find and tend to bring some decent money on the auction sites so I figured that I'd try my hand at refurbing them. I would end up needing 39 more carbines to fill these things up so both racks are getting posted for sale on the CMP forums and on Gunboards.

My good buddy rjbrooks7 helped me out with getting both racks media blasted so that I could get the process started. Below are before and after pics of both racks together. I will include more after photos and a description of each rack in the post below...

Before:

After:

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
#1. Type 1 rack: Earliest variant of the M4 rack with wooden base slats and hinged gate with individually welded magazine well fingers. Rack has been media blasted, primed, and painted with the correct RAPCO-33070 paint (early WWII lusterless olive drab). The wooden base slats and the barrel rest are hand cut replacements made of pine that have also been painted to match. Antique style solid brass domed-head slotted screws were used to secure both the slats and barrel rest. I also installed a vintage USGI Waterbury manufactured brass military lock with matching key. Unfortunately there are areas of pitting in the metal due to previously existing rust. Luckily nearly all of it is located on the bottom side of the base and is not visible. The discolored areas on the base of the rack in the photo below are areas of dirt and dust and not areas of scuffed paint...the bases of the racks got a little dirty when bringing them outside and I didn't notice until after taking photos.

#2. Type 2 rack: Second variant of the M4 rack that features a stamped metal insert rather than wooden base slats and a one piece stamped hinge gates (no welded fingers). Rack has also been media blasted, primed, and painted with the RAPCO-33070 paint. The wooden barrel rest is also a hand cut replacement made of pine that has been painted to match. Brass domed-head slotted screws were also used to secure barrel rest. On this rack I installed a vintage USGI Reese manufactured brass military lock with matching key. There are also areas of pitting on the base due to previously existing rust, but not to the extent of the Type 1 rack. The discolored areas on the base of the rack in the photo below are also areas of dirt and dust.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
39 more carbines?! That'll give you something to do this winter. Nice work.

It would only take a spare $35K or so to finish filling them up. :saywhat: With our first baby on the way, I'm not sure that I could get the wife on board with that. :wink2:

Since the racks are fairly rare I'm honestly hoping that a carbine collector might offer up a spare rifle in trade for both racks if I'm not able to sell them outright.

Latest posts

Top Bottom