PTR 91 - Good Buy, or Stay Away From?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been racking my brain over the past few days over the issue of whether or not I need to buy a PTR-91 "GI" model from Centerfire Systems for $899.99.

I am already squared away in terms of firearms, and this would just be an addition to the collection. My main "battle rifle" is an Arsenal SGL-21 in 7.62x39mm, and my only other rifle in 308 /7.62x39mm is a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD edition, which shoots match 308.

I've been doing my research, and I know that there have been some problems with the PTR-91s cycling "tar sealed" ammunition, and this has to do with the shallow flutes on the inside of the chamber. I also have read that this issue has been resolved with the "GI" version of the rifle.

I've been told in the past that the rolling block rifle is potentially fragile if dropped in just the right way, and that there have been other issues with the rifle that may or may not have been corrected. With all of that said, here are some questions/concerns that I am hoping you guys are able to help us with.

1. Is this rifle worth the $899.99 price tag, or is that price too high?
2. Is this a rifle worth owning in general?
3. Does this rifle function reliably? I am not expecting to have the same level of reliability as my AK, but I do expect it to come close, as in 1 or 2 malfunctions per 1000 rounds.
4. How does this rifle function with all manner of 7.62x51mm AND 308 commercial ammunition?
5. How delicate is the roller block action, and can it stand the test of time?
6. Is this rifle that HAS to be cleaned after each shooting sessions, or can it run "dirty" in between cleanings?
7. Does this rifle function reliably with corrosive ammunition specifically? It is the cheapest that I have found at around $.50 a round.

I had a rather large post typed up before, but when I went to submit it, it had me log in again and it got erased. Basically I just want to know if this is a good rifle to get, and that it will be reliable enough with different sorts of ammunition so that it will not make me have an aneurysm at the range. If anyone has any advice for me on this rifle and whether or not I should purchase it, it would be most appreciated. Especially, if someone has owned this rifle either currently or in the past, I would love to see what you think of it.

I looked for a topic about this rifle before I posted it, but all I found were old WTS/WTT/WTB, so I figured hta it would be ok if I went ahead and made this.

If you guys had any thoughts at all, please feel free to share them.

Thanks in advance.

Jestik

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been racking my brain over the past few days over the issue of whether or not I need to buy a PTR-91 "GI" model from Centerfire Systems for $899.99.

I am already squared away in terms of firearms, and this would just be an addition to the collection. My main "battle rifle" is an Arsenal SGL-21 in 7.62x39mm, and my only other rifle in 308 /7.62x39mm is a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD edition, which shoots match 308.

I've been doing my research, and I know that there have been some problems with the PTR-91s cycling "tar sealed" ammunition, and this has to do with the shallow flutes on the inside of the chamber. I also have read that this issue has been resolved with the "GI" version of the rifle.

I've been told in the past that the rolling block rifle is potentially fragile if dropped in just the right way, and that there have been other issues with the rifle that may or may not have been corrected. With all of that said, here are some questions/concerns that I am hoping you guys are able to help us with.

1. Is this rifle worth the $899.99 price tag, or is that price too high?
2. Is this a rifle worth owning in general?
3. Does this rifle function reliably? I am not expecting to have the same level of reliability as my AK, but I do expect it to come close, as in 1 or 2 malfunctions per 1000 rounds.
4. How does this rifle function with all manner of 7.62x51mm AND 308 commercial ammunition?
5. How delicate is the roller block action, and can it stand the test of time?
6. Is this rifle that HAS to be cleaned after each shooting sessions, or can it run "dirty" in between cleanings?
7. Does this rifle function reliably with corrosive ammunition specifically? It is the cheapest that I have found at around $.50 a round.

I had a rather large post typed up before, but when I went to submit it, it had me log in again and it got erased. Basically I just want to know if this is a good rifle to get, and that it will be reliable enough with different sorts of ammunition so that it will not make me have an aneurysm at the range. If anyone has any advice for me on this rifle and whether or not I should purchase it, it would be most appreciated. Especially, if someone has owned this rifle either currently or in the past, I would love to see what you think of it.

I looked for a topic about this rifle before I posted it, but all I found were old WTS/WTT/WTB, so I figured hta it would be ok if I went ahead and made this.

If you guys had any thoughts at all, please feel free to share them.

Thanks in advance.

Jestik

1. that is about as cheap as you'll find one. They are $1,000 plus elsewhere
2. Yes
3. Yes, it should
4. It should work fine
5. It should be pretty solid and reliable
6. It shouldnt have to be cleaned each time, unless you use corrisve ammo
7. It should function fine with corrosive ammo, just clean accordingly

Hope that answers your questions.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with AKguy. The tar-sealed ammo problems were on earlier PTR rifles (you can google the serial number range that had problems). The early GI-models had a few with trunion cracking problems, but I'm sure PTR got that issue resolved, too. The G3/HK91 design is one of the most reliable battle rifle designs there is, when properly built, using quality parts, and built to HK specs as they should be.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PTR is good to go as the others have said you won't regret the purchase. Before I switched over to ARs I owned one while living in CT, just to support a CT company. I was very happy I decided to buy, very reliable and fun to shoot. They are also made on REAL HK tools purchased directly from HK, can't get better than that. Plus PTR is the first company to say frack CT after the 4/4/13 bravo sierra and are packing up and moving to SC.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The big boy 308's out there are the AR10, M1a, PTR 91(G3), and the FAL. I bought the M1a as a DMR setup and it excels perfectly at this. I think the AR10 would as well.

If I was going to buy a 308 rifle as a non DMR, or 300 yards and under rifle, I would buy the PTR or the FAL. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the PTR and FAL could make engagements beyond 300 as well as the M1a and AR10 can be a good rifle inside of that. I just feel that the M1a's and AR10's are more accurate and more suited for the longer range work, where the PTR and FAL would make a great option for a harder hitting close range rifle.

Sidenote: The PTR's eat up brass, but it doesn't sound like you will be reloading. Just an FYI

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My boss has a M1A that he has spent $4k upgrading.

It's a pretty cool bolt action rifle.

I've had bad experiences with the Springfield M1As.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My boss has a M1A that he has spent $4k upgrading.

It's a pretty cool bolt action rifle.

I've had bad experiences with the Springfield M1As.

Bolt action rifle? For the needs you posted, I would recommend the PTR or the FAL over the M1a or the AR10.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bolt action rifle? For the needs you posted, I would recommend the PTR or the FAL over the M1a or the AR10.

It also bears noting that if you're reloading or pick up heavier or stout ammo, there's less worry over heavy bullets or hotter loads with the PTR or FAL; the PTR will pretty much eat anything without damaging stuff, and the FAL can be adjusted for the load if necessary. I've always heard that even though the fluted chamber leaves marks on the brass, the G3/HK91/PTR brass is typically still reloadable....that is, if you can find it.