PTR 91 - Good Buy, or Stay Away From?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is so weird is that on my first outing with the PTR-91, I had ZERO problems, and that was shooting steel cased ammunition in the same mags. I do think that I will remove the scope mount, QD base, and scope and see if I can just work the irons. My eyes are not the best,but I will give it a try.

That's a great idea. Get it back to stock where it was functioning properly and start adding one thing at a time and see what causes the failures. I know 308 isn't cheap and this could be expensive troubleshooting, but I think you're on the right path. I think someone else said the optic mount could make the receiver flex. Which could cause issues. Hopefully it's as simple as that. Good luck!

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a great idea. Get it back to stock where it was functioning properly and start adding one thing at a time and see what causes the failures. I know 308 isn't cheap and this could be expensive troubleshooting, but I think you're on the right path. I think someone else said the optic mount could make the receiver flex. Which could cause issues. Hopefully it's as simple as that. Good luck!

Then the problem becomes getting used to the iron sights haha. The HK drum sight will take some work getting used to.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then the problem becomes getting used to the iron sights haha. The HK drum sight will take some work getting used to.

True. If it is the mount causing the issues, there has to be a better one that doesn't. I'm not familiar with the 91's at all, so I'm no help here. I've just had my share of troubleshooting rifles. I really hope you can find the issue and have an optic on your rifle.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True. If it is the mount causing the issues, there has to be a better one that doesn't. I'm not familiar with the 91's at all, so I'm no help here. I've just had my share of troubleshooting rifles. I really hope you can find the issue and have an optic on your rifle.

Probably going with a higher quality mount would solve most, if not all of the problems. But getting proficient with iron sights is a good first step.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is an update. I took the scope base, the scope mount, and the scope off of the rifle. I then took the rifle to the range today, and when I shot it, I did not have any problems with it functioning/extracting like I did at the range last time. However when I gave it to OklahomaBassin to shoot, he had problems with it, and I think that those problems stemmed from not having the bolt locked to the rear when inserting a magazine, and not letting the bolt SLAM forward in lieu of gentling riding it. so maybe it is rifle that you need to know how to operate "just so" to get it to run for it. I am getting used to the iron sights, but they are a whole different bag all together. The 100 yard sight is sort of this weird trough V, and my shots were all over that place. Once I turned to the "2" position, which I believe is for 200 meters, my grouping improved greatly. Again, this was an indoor range, and the farthest that I could shoot was 25 yards, but at least it functioned 100% for me, which is what I was looking for. Magazines loaded at 20 or 18 did not seem to make a difference, but going forward I will only load them to 18.