Public Hunting Land and Target Shooting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I have been on public hunting lands for hunting, I was curious if it were allowed to use certain areas for targets shooting at remote locations. No range, no structures, just middle of nowhere long range target practice. Does anyone have any information on this? I will try and contact WM tomorrow if no one has a definitive answer.

Reason I ask is the 1800 acres I have been going to for the past few years now has quite a bit of oil machinery on it and once again cattle. Not to mention houses being moved in around it and a growing number of traffic. While I would prefer private land such as what I have access to, Public land would offer more variations and possibly more safety.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Wildlife management areas, and corps of engineers land around most reservior's, are not open for plinking/target shooting. Only during hunting seasons.

Reason is a safety issue. Some idiot would be trying to pop turtle heads with ski boats in the background, etc.

Yeah, most of us are responsible enough to make sure we had a good back stop, but its that one idiot out there that they have to protect against.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are all a little different. There is actually an area over by Greenleaf lake that is a public shooting area. My brother in law lives across the road from several hundred acres of public land down by Butcher Pens and there is an area where the public can shoot also. I would just ask the local warden if it were me.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im new to this site and ive been wanting to go shot on public land but for target shooting any suggestions on where would be the best place to go i dont mind the drive?.
First off, welcome to the site! I can think of a couple of ranges on public land, but aside either requiring a hunting license, or lack of distance shooting in most cases, I'd say your best bets (open to public ranges) in my opinion may be to just go to Canadian Ranges which is under new ownership just west of Yukon, or Fouled Bore Precision SW of OKC in Ninnekah (that place is awesome - has pistol and long range).

Subbed to this thread to learn of new ranges I'm not aware of.

Latest posts

Top Bottom