Purpose of Magpul or Ranger mag plates?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like title states. Can someone explain what the purpose of the Ranger plates or the rubber Magpul ends are for? Is it so you can pull the mag out easier? Mine just drop free, what am I missing?

Thanks

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
kind of what it seems to me as well. I just there must have been a nee for them other than what "WhiteyMacD" proposed. Although he made a good point. I guess you could load different bullets in the ones that had them on, maybe as an organizational item? Who know?!?....I'll probably just buy another box of ammo instead.

iriediver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they are for retrieving from a mag pouch, quite useless in my opinion but they are tacticool. overseas i have seen guys use duct tape and 550 cord to achieve the same.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they are for retrieving from a mag pouch, quite useless in my opinion but they are tacticool. overseas i have seen guys use duct tape and 550 cord to achieve the same.

With gloves on in the sand pit, the above worked real good for some guys. Never saw any Magpul brand over there.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never used Ranger plates, but I do like Magpuls...they make the mag a little grippier for reloads on the clock. They can also protect the floorplate if the mag gets dropped on the concrete. I usually pull them all the way up on the mag since I don't use the loop.

Ranger plates can make a nice base to monopod off of.

It all boils down to how/if you use your rifle.

If you think an AR's nothing more than a trophy wife, you'll certainly never see the utility.

EDIT: Looks like the forum server's clock is a little messed up...

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ranger plates work well for retrieving mags from pouches, especially when wearing gloves. They also cushion the mag when dropping them, and make a nice base for prone shooting when using the "mag monopod" method.

I use Ranger plates on all my duty mags, as they are very functional, and make it very easy to distinguish between duty and other mags.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was given several Ranger plates, but unless you're some specialized super operator, I don't really see the need.

Which I am not, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night...

EDIT: TO agree with SPIFF,... did someone leave their delorean in drive? I just posted in the past. ;) (12:33)

Latest posts

Top Bottom