1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Putting Together a WWII Era U.S. Field Pack

Discussion in 'Military Surplus' started by coolhandluke, Apr 29, 2012.

1. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Some of you guys may have already seen most of these items over in the milsurp thread. I picked up a couple more pieces and figured that I'd start a thread and post pictures of the pack as I add new items to it.

First here's the gem that I found yesterday. It's a 1942 AGM Co. canteen with the early style aluminum (instead of bakelite) lid in a 1941 dated Baker-Lockwood cover. The owner of the antique store that I found it at had it sat aside from the rest of the canteens in the store. He said that it was purchased from the veteran that it was issued to and had not been changed from it's original canteen, cup, and cover configuration. I'm not sure if this is correct as the cup is 1944 dated and I am not at all sure if veterans were able to keep pieces of their issued field gear after discharge. I didn't buy it for the story and didn't pay any extra for it. I mainly purchased it for the early style cap and the nice markings on the cover.

[​IMG]

Looks like the soldier's name (ROWLAND) has been stamped on the flaps of the cover. The only other similar stampings that I have seen have been on USMC issued canteens. Normally there is also the soldier's rank and serial number though. You can also see the B-L manufacture stamp in the lower left rear corner and the laundry number (?) on the bottom of the cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also picked up a first aid kit to add to the medical pouch. I originally had a JQMD 1943 med pouch attached to the ammo belt, but I've swapped it out for the 1940 NASCO Awnings pouch since it has stronger stampings and matches the canteen cover and haversack better than the JQMD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below are a couple photos of the pack so far. The following items are in the photos:

M1928 haversack (1942 Indianapolis Tent and Awning)
    M1923 cartidge belt (Boyt manufacture - date illegible...most likely 1942 or 1943)
    M1910 canteen (1942 AGM Co canteen, 1941 Baker-Lockwood cover)
    Medical / 1st Aid Pouch (1940 Nasco Awnings with a sealed Bauer and Black first aid packet)
    Ka-Bar USN MK 2 Type 1 (rare, earliest variation with USN marked Boyt 1943 scabbard)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  2. ldp4570

ldp4570 Sharpshooter

Its coming along nicely. Alright now you need the early M1 Garand Bayonet, and get those ammo pouches full!!

3. HMFIC

HMFIC Sharpshooter

Very nice gear. I remember playing with my Grandpa's old canteen and belt was I was a kid. Wish I knew where that stuff is now?

4. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    The Germans you were fighting knocked you out and took your gear.

5. warpusher

warpusher Marksman

When you find a packtail for the 1928 get two so I can have one!

One thing I found works good to fill out the pack is to assemble it around 3 MREs if you have them.

My only comment would be that the KA-BAR might or might not be right for the theater you're putting together. If you can find a M-3 trench knife that would cover both Pacific and Europe nicely.

Other accessories that look good on the 1928 pack:
    Hatchet
    Pickmattock
    Rifle Grenade Launcher sight

6. dlbleak

dlbleak Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    charley's surplus sales has repro m3 trenh knives for 49.95

7. brennan

brennan Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I did not think Charlies was still around?

8. dlbleak

dlbleak Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
  9. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I actually found a couple pack tails at the shop that I picked the canteen up from. Let me know if you're looking for something specifically and I'll check them out for you next time that I go in to pick one up for myself.

I posted in the milsurp thread that I wasn't too focused on putting together a 100% correct display. I am mainly just putting together period items that I've been able to find at affordable prices. I already had the Ka-Bar and Marines were often issued the USN versions when the USMC's were in short stock so that's a good enough excuse for me to stick it on there. I would definitely rather have it on there than a repro M-3 (I can't afford an original WWII era one).

I had planned on adding an M1910 shovel to the attachment on the pack (along with the meat can pouch) but it looks like an authentic cover may be tough to come by at a decent price. I've seen photos of the folding shovels attached to the M1928 haversacks and may end up going that route instead.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  10. woolworh

woolworh Sharpshooter

Nice.