Quail ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we tried them on the ground all they did was hide, refused to come out to eat or drink. Ended up tearing the whole thing down and moving them back. These were cortournix (sure that is spelled wrong)birds not whites. Interested to see how yours do.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we tried them on the ground all they did was hide, refused to come out to eat or drink. Ended up tearing the whole thing down and moving them back. These were cortournix (sure that is spelled wrong)birds not whites. Interested to see how yours do.

I've seen the set-up in Lawton where they have birds on the ground and people can go in, sit down, and the birds will come up to them and eat from the little cups of food they sell people to feed them.

These guys are only a couple days old so I'm hoping if I mess with them enough while they are in the garage they will be tame.

I'm kinda a weirdo that way -- all my birds, my rabbits and even the feral cat out front will hang around me and let me mess with them. One of my rabbits acts more like a puppy dog than a rabbit. Lol He's mad at me right now because he got out the other night and when I put him back in his cage he ran to the back and thumped at me several times. He FINALLY came to the front and let me pet him this morning but he's still giving me the stinkeye ... Lol. Blackberry leaves and stems are just too good not to come get from Mom, though!

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen the set-up in Lawton where they have birds on the ground and people can go in, sit down, and the birds will come up to them and eat from the little cups of food they sell people to feed them.

These guys are only a couple days old so I'm hoping if I mess with them enough while they are in the garage they will be tame.

I'm kinda a weirdo that way -- all my birds, my rabbits and even the feral cat out front will hang around me and let me mess with them. One of my rabbits acts more like a puppy dog than a rabbit. Lol He's mad at me right now because he got out the other night and when I put him back in his cage he ran to the back and thumped at me several times. He FINALLY came to the front and let me pet him this morning but he's still giving me the stinkeye ... Lol. Blackberry leaves and stems are just too good not to come get from Mom, though!

And city folks say playing with your food is bad, way to show them it is really a good thing.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can barely keep my quail in the brooder as I fill the feeder. I would hate to deal with them on dirt. Plus I have trays under them to catch the poo that I spread on my garden. They are eating and pooping machines. I have the jumbo brown. pharroh/cotournux. same bird.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can barely keep my quail in the brooder as I fill the feeder. I would hate to deal with them on dirt. Plus I have trays under them to catch the poo that I spread on my garden. They are eating and pooping machines. I have the jumbo brown. pharroh/cotournux. same bird.

I built some raised beds with cinder blocks. I'm formulating a plan to build a top for each one so I can put birds on the one that is "resting" that season. We will see if it works. Between the ducks and rabbits (both are cold compost animals) and the chickens and quail (hot compost animals) I should have plenty of poo to go around.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok ... So I got 50 of the little buggers on Sunday the 25th, I think. Damned oak tree fell on me on Tuesday AND the power went out so ... Now I have 50 2-3 day old baby birds and no heat source. Great ...

Moved everybody from the brooder to a plastic tub, set them next to the insert on the mantel and hoped for the best. They spent all last week CRAMMED up against the side of the tub closest to the fire but we didn't dare move them any closer to the fire for fear of overheating the plastic tub they were in.

Today is the first day I've actually looked at them other than in passing since the morning of the 27th. Plus except for when it was nice enough to put them outside in the sun during the day, they have been in the dark mostly. Kinda small for 2 weeks old but are fully feathered and spunky. I'm hoping I can get them fattened up a bit now that the power is back on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom