Quality AR Parts List

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DevilDoc29

I was wondering if building an AR for the first time, what are the top of the line parts for the project? What is the best lowers, uppers, trigger groups, etc? Should I go with DPMS, Colt, Rock River Arms, Bushmaster, Spike or another company that I have never heard of? I'm researching online but quality isn't mentioned. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. I just need a place to start. Thanks:gun1:

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lower - pretty much pick a roll mark or brand you like. lower parts kit - DPMS, rock river, palmetto state armory - really hard to make a bad choice here as well..upper - depends on budget and goals. any of the brands you mentioned are great.

best place to start is to figure out what you want and your budget. Then "we" can help you more

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, you might as well ask who has the prettiest wife. $#!+-storm thou hast been started! :D

The most important parts are the BCG and the barrel.

I personally like Noveske, BCM, Sabre Defence, Daniel Defense, VLTOR, etc.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The "top five" that are constantly discussed at the two main AR forums as the "best" are Colt, Bravo Company, Lewis Machine Tool, Noveske, and Daniel Defense.

IMHO if you are building your first AR and want a quality build but don't want to spring for top-of-the-line gear (because you don't really know what you do and don't prefer), I recommend Spike's or Palmetto State Armory. They are both considered high quality, but not as expensive as those top 5 brands mentioned above. PSA especially is trying to get it's foot in the door and has been selling a lot of high quality gear at great prices in 2011.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Research what you want, ask questions. try to handle as many different rifles as you can, read more, ask more questions and you will get a feel for what you want. I will for warn you, it is called a disease for a reason--it is a never ending quest. I can tell you from experience that I was through with the AR platform more than once but I end up either getting another one or building one. Main thing is to stay with reputable manufacturers and sellers and don't go the route of the Chinese/NC Star/ ETC parts as they will fail.

Just remember the sage advice: buy quality once and cry once, buy cheap and cry twice. I am not saying all good parts are expensive but good parts are worth the paying for.

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wrestled with buidling a rifle several times. I just decided to buy one already assembled. My first was a Rock River and it was flawless. My second and current is an LMT. Both have ran flawlessly and as of now the LMT is my favorite. Steve at Cold Hand Arms helped me out the the LMT, rails, stock, EOTech, and suppressor.

D

DevilDoc29

I went to the gun show yesterday and found what I've been looking for. It always seems that everything is more expensive at the gun show. I didnt find the AR that I wanted already put together so I started looking for uppers and lowers. I found a Spikes Tactical lower that I liked and then found a gentleman selling uppers. I found a Delton 16" M4 upper and put them together there. They fit like a hand in a glove. Everything is tight and when I went to fire it, she fired two hundred rounds flawlessly. I bought the flip up detachable rear sight, three magpul 30 round mags too. I think a decent red dot scope and I will be set up. What do you think about the Spike and Delton combo?

Latest posts

Top Bottom