question about grip safeties on 1911's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, I've got a question for whoever is the resident IPSC guru here. I have been shooting USPSA for the last year and a half. I have shot production, limited, limited 10 and lastly single stack.
Here is my question.
Novak makes a pistol called the NEXT. It is a 1911 single stack that has no grip safety. I understand that the rules state that in single stack you cannot disconnect a manufactured safety system, but in this case the manufacturer did not include a grip safety. So can this be run in the single stack division? If so, could I build a custom 1911 without a grip safety and shoot it single stack?

Any clarity on this topic would be appreciated.

Rob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
guru i am not, but in USPSA as long as the thumb saftey is working you are good. Some people still use both the safety's, now in IDPA both safteys have to work

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thumb safety is considered the primary on a 1911, it's all you need to be legal. Now let's start the ongoing fight about pinning grip safeties on game guns!

IDPA I believe will require a working grip safety.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thumb safety is considered the primary on a 1911, it's all you need to be legal. Now let's start the ongoing fight about pinning grip safeties on game guns!

IDPA I believe will require a working grip safety.

If the gun was manufactured with a safety device, it must stay there and be functional for IDPA purposes. Recently it has been determined that the internal lock device on S&W revolvers (if originally so equipped)must be present and active. It includes the grip safety on a 1911.

In past years in IPSC, in pre-USPSA days, in was common to pin down the 1911 grip safety. In those days of yore, the "memory bump" grip safety did not exist. There was a metal clip gadget invented to hold the grip safety down. It was held in place by the grips. One cottage industry parts supplier even made a complete add-on backstrap unit for the 1911. The unit integrated the grip safety (now just a solid hunk of metal) to the mainspring housing.

I have seen loose 1911's go flying through the air, so IMO the grip safety needs to be functional. I'd rather not get shot by a once airborne gun striking the ground.

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so, once again, if the gun was manufactured without a grip safety then it isn't considered to be missing? If it isn't missing then the gun is legal? I understand the safety aspect of it, I'm focusing on the legality for ipsc or uspsa competitions.
thanks for all the of the input.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
. . .I understand the safety aspect of it, I'm focusing on the legality for ipsc or uspsa competitions.
thanks for all the of the input.

If you want an absolutely firm ruling on the USPSA legality of what you are proposing, remember that the final voice is the NROI branch of USPSA. Final voice for USPSA anyway. Contact them if you wish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom