Question about Tulsa Defensive Shooting Academy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always heard glowing reviews regarding TDSA but being an OKC metro guy I don't find myself in Tulsa unless I'm just making a pit stop to visit friends on my way somewhere else, so I have never given it serious consideration. But either this weekend or the next I will likely have an opportunity to be in Tulsa for most of the weekend so I was hoping their "Mastering the Fundamentals of Marksmanship (Pistol)" class was going to be taught one Saturday or the other. I checked out the website and it says 2013 Calendar Coming Soon... despite the fact that we're two weeks into January - LOL. Does anybody have the inside scoop? Do they teach courses really infrequently and they really haven't had any 2013 classes? Or are they doing regular business and just behind in getting the website updated?(Hoping that's the case!) I'll give them a call tomorrow but I was just curious to know if someone on here knew what their schedule looks like since it seems so many OSAers have taken courses with them.

Also curious to know if anybody has taken the Mastering the Fundamentals of Marksmanship (Pistol) class and what you thought of it. I shoot relatively often but I have always wanted some quality instruction to bring greater accuracy and consistency to my shooting, because I'm typically disappointed with my performance. I mean, I can keep them all inside a silhouette at 10 or 12 yards but I want to get better, hopefully much better than that. So do you think this class fits the bill??? Could you or would you make recommendations for other courses???

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has been my experience that classes don't typically start in a new year until March. Hence the delay on the new calendar. I haven't taken that specific class, but I can say that if you want to get improvement, you WILL get it at TDSA.

Regardless, email ([email protected]) or PM Marshall and he'll fix you up I'm sure. If you're looking for testimonials, check the website. There are hundreds.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has been my experience that classes don't typically start in a new year until March. Hence the delay on the new calendar.

Rats, I noticed the same thing at carrylegal.com I'm betting these places have outdoor ranges and it's a climate related decision to wait until March.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took the TDSA ACP1 class and it was a great class and learning experience. I would highly recommend the class. One of fun things we did was getting to test what we'd been taught by ringing some steel at 50 yards with the pistol, very cool!

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you contact them you might be able to just schedule some range time with you and someone and they could give you some pointers for a nominal fee. They are real people ya know. If they would like to get out and heat up some barrels anyway you might give them a good reason to do so.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fear I'm unwilling to brave the temps we've been experiencing lately myself. I'll likely have to wait for warmer temperatures, for some reason I pictured the place being indoors - don't know why, but I did. That's okay, I have some friends in Tulsa that we visit from time to time, another opportunity will present itself. I may also have an opportunity to take a new shooter out if his schedule allows, that'll be time well spent as well.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely worth the time and money. I know they were having some issues with zoning on their range, not sure if that got straightened out yet. That may be why they have not posted a schedule yet?

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As was said, their yearly class schedule usually kicks off in March.

TDSA gets my highest recommendation. They are true pros. Their foundational pistol class (ACP I) has a huge amount of thought and experience put into it, and you will see the benefits in your shooting. It is absolutely worth the drive from OKC and a motel room.

Latest posts

Top Bottom