Question for the Artillery Aficionados

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went out to the 45th Infantry Division Museum again today to take pictures, especially of the outside displays since I got rained out the last time. I ran across a display that had a sign for the artillery piece, but there were two other "pieces" nearby that were unlabeled. Since they seemed to all be together, I wondered if the two extra pieces were somehow related to the artillery piece as "support" devices. This is the M-1 Heavy 8-Inch Gun, of which there were only 139 made, so they won't be a common piece to see.

It's just a little "shootin' arn."

Now, these next pictures are of the "mystery" pieces, one which has two photos because I wanted to show pictures of both sides since the one wheel and tire are only on one side.

This was that last piece. So, does anyone have an idea of what these two extra pieces were designed to do?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, Rick. I kind of thought that was the case, but the photo in the wikipedia is different from the one that I took. That one piece has the one wheel raised up. Maybe that was a "spare." The next time I go to the museum, I'll see if I can find the curator. The "attendant" that I talked with didn't know much about the gun "accessories," even though he was a WWII veteran.

I need to get my "google-fu" working and see if I can find more photos of transport photos for that gun.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, Rick. I kind of thought that was the case, but the photo in the wikipedia is different from the one that I took. That one piece has the one wheel raised up. Maybe that was a "spare." The next time I go to the museum, I'll see if I can find the curator. The "attendant" that I talked with didn't know much about the gun "accessories," even though he was a WWII veteran.

I need to get my "google-fu" working and see if I can find more photos of transport photos for that gun.

Click on the top photo in the link and it will enlarge. You can see one of the transport pieces behind the gun with a raised wheel.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is one of the neatest museums I've ever been to, if you're local or close and haven't been, you have to check it out.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has been several years since I have been and I need to visit again.

Terry is that an A7 in the background to the left of the gun?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is one of the neatest museums I've ever been to, if you're local or close and haven't been, you have to check it out.

Brandi, your are right. It is a fabulous museum, especially with respect to a lot of firearms. Here is a link to a thread I had started back in June. One of the pictures in that thread shows the Colt Paterson revolving shotgun.

45th Infantry Museum in OKC

It has been several years since I have been and I need to visit again.

Terry is that an A7 in the background to the left of the gun?

Rick,

Yes, that is an A7 Corsair. There are two other jets there, one being an F86 Sabre and the other is the F-94 Starfire (I think.) There are display locations for some other aircraft there, but those have been removed for repair after suffering from a hailstorm with really big stones a while back. I've got other pictures at home that I took yesterday. I was kind of weak on the photography with only taking about 530 photos of the outside display items. (I like taking "detail" photos of just certain parts of the various subjects, like the gearing used to traverse or raise the barrels of the artillery pieces.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom