Question regarding T/C Encore

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoMoreOldNo7

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a T/C Encore in 30-06 but don't know much about them and have a question. Can I put a 20ga rifled barrel on it without buying more than just the barrel? Is there only one kind of receiver, and what I mean by one kind, will all rifle, muzzleloader and shotgun barrels fit the same receiver? I have also seen a few posting where its advertised as "NOT a Pro Hunter" is there something negative about the Pro Hunter or something of a better quality with a different model?

I've been working on building a sporter 03-A3 and have finally given up. I have a couple receivers but neither are highly sought after brands. One is a National Ordinance, the other a Santa Fe. I never mounted the National Ordinance, it has been drilled and tapped for a scope and I parkerized it. The Santa Fe has never been drilled and its has the original bluing. Will part out everything else I have (bolt, magazine, bottom, etc). This long drawn out story is just to explain what the project was. I finally shot 03A3 but before bedding the stock in three shots cracked the stock so going to go another direction. The gun safe just seems to be missing something without a 30-06, I hate to see all that brass laying around and nothing to reload it for. I've been interested in putting together a 20 slug gun and possibly a turkey gun for the upcoming fall seasons so I thought the Encore might be a good fit.

Anyway if someone can fill me in on the versatility and background of the Encore I would appreciate it. Thanks

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Encore is the cheaper less fancy model. The Prohunter has more options, flex tech stock, swivel hammer, speed breach, fluted barrels etc.
both are great guns.
As far as barrels, you'll have to change out the fore stock as well. ML is different cause it has the cut out for the ram rod, rifle is different size and bolts are different, same goes for shot gun. No big deal cause they are like $20-$30. Nothing else to Change.
Prohunter stuff will fit on an Encore and vis versa.... Meaning you can put a PH fluted rifle barrel on a regular Encore.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have Encores, both in rifle and pistol configuration. I go from 243 to 45-70 in rifle, and have a 30-06 pistol configuration as well. I have the muzzle loader barrel and accessories, and even have a 375H&H Mag barrel for the rifle. You absolutely need a good muzzle brake on the heavier stuff with an encore. The eighth shot in the 375 shattered the internals on a Pentax Gameseeker Pro. That's when I put the brake on it. Building custom bolt guns can be addictive, I have built several based on the Savage 10/110 actions, and the Stevens 200 is the same action. Savage's system of using barrel nuts on that series makes it a snap to rebarrel to a different caliber. Different bolt head? no sweat, order the correct bolt head from Midway or several other sources for around $25 bucks. All you need for that is the barrel wrench, an action wrench and a set of headspace gauges. The Encore offers the easiest switch barrel choice out there, and there are lots of components available, both new and used. Good luck.. Blitzfike

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The "problem" with most T/C Pro Hunter barrels is the "flex" from its longer 28" barrel. I did a series of tests with these barrels, shooting before and after groups and every barrel that I cut from 28" down to 23", accuracy was cut in half. Meaning, that if one gun grouped 2" at 100 yds., after cutting is back to 23", groups averaged 1". One gun shot 1 1/2" groups and after cutting the barrel, it then started shooting 3/4" groups. All rifles tested performed this way...

Also, with most factory barrels, depending on caliber, you would expect to see a velocity loss of 100-200 fps. but, velocity loss with cartridges like the 22-250, 25-06, 7 mag. and 300 Win. Mag. averaged 20-35 fps. from those barrels going from 28" down to 23"...

Another reason for the accuracy issues and minimal velocity loss, is that the last couple of inches of bore in these 28" barrels, is that the bore and groove diameter is badly oversize. In other words, there is a "swell" in the bore and by removing this, the barrels vibrations and harmonics change as well as gets rid of the internal oversize part of barrel...

I'll post a link to the tests that I did if anyone has any interest in it....

DAVID

NoMoreOldNo7

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fantastic replies. D&T I would like to see that article, if you could either post the link here or PM me with it. And thanks Blitzfike, I'll check on that .243.

One problem, which with time I'm sure will work itself out, is finding a do all gunsmith. I moved here to Oklahoma last January from California. In California I had a fantastic gunsmith, his work was highly regarded and he could do anything I asked or came up with a great alternative. He blueprinted all my rifles way before "blueprinting rifles" was an everyday buzz word on gun forums. I do have one of the rifles he built for sale, a .300 WinMag 700BDL but only selling it because it's just too much gun in my post cancer years.

Out here I have found a gunsmith fairly close but so far I can see that he doesn't have the equipment necessary to handle big time modifications. D&T, is there nothing more to cutting down a barrel than cutting at the desired length and re-crowning? I wouldn't even consider doing this myself, but do like to understand what's involved. Sounds like some great research, I do like shooting them tack driving rifles and if I find that Encore I'm looking for I'll look into it.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.orchardphoto.com_h29zo99.jpg

I'll have to do that; cut my 28 inch Pro Hunter barrel down so I can cut my group size in half.

Latest posts

Top Bottom