Questions on Lexington - Targets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would like to hear back with answers to the questions first. I live in yukon; don’t really want to drive out there to shoot a piece of paper at 50-100 yards then wait for cease fire to walk down and check my shots. If they allow us to shoot clays like you said, then immediate feedback is there...if you hit them anyway.

I went to the website and couldn’t find the rules. Found a picture of the rules sign, but couldn’t make it out, it’s too small and I couldn’t enlarge the pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's a larger pic of the rules posted at the range.

IMG_1229.jpg
1.JPG

2.JPG

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reason shooting at anything like golf balls round targets, clays on the flat surface is because it can cause ricochets that can travel over the berm and become a safety issue.
Our range requirements require all targets be designed so the bullets impact the berm at 2-7 feet in height after passing through the target.
That’s the reason for berms among others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then Lexington is poorly designed. I watch people regularly shooting the target mats skipping rounds off the ground. You can sometimes see them impact the top of the berm. And as far as shooting over the berms, clay shooting is allowed and every one of those shots travel over it.
Putting targets on the target mats is a chore in itself. They are shot out and covered in staples, making it very difficult to attach a target and get it to stay.
Like I've said elsewhere, it was a crap hole they made nice. It's returning to it's origins with a lack of care. But I understand you have a great selection of pets there, if you're looking for a dog.
And before anyone suggests helping them out again, I've actually helped put in the target posts and new matting up when it was cared for. It's not difficult. I think anyone would be willing to help, they just need to show up with the supplies.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then Lexington is poorly designed. I watch people regularly shooting the target mats skipping rounds off the ground. You can sometimes see them impact the top of the berm. And as far as shooting over the berms, clay shooting is allowed and every one of those shots travel over it.
Putting targets on the target mats is a chore in itself. They are shot out and covered in staples, making it very difficult to attach a target and get it to stay.
Like I've said elsewhere, it was a crap hole they made nice. It's returning to it's origins with a lack of care. But I understand you have a great selection of pets there, if you're looking for a dog.
And before anyone suggests helping them out again, I've actually helped put in the target posts and new matting up when it was cared for. It's not difficult. I think anyone would be willing to help, they just need to show up with the supplies.

Well, there is all that I suppose, but when you figure that they aren't charging a fee other that the requirement to have a Hunting License to use the facility, what do you expect? Range maintenance takes money you know. I'm not going to be harsh about their rules and requirements, I just wish that there was a public outdoor range in the OKC area where we could set up spinning targets for .22LR's and shoot clays on the ground and such. In the meantime, I may still go give it a go at Lexington before I say no thanks. Thinking about moving to Ponca City so I can join that great range up there.

Or not.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKCGC is closer than Ponca, but still no targets allowed on the ground for the reasons Dennis outlined
There is a 22 plinking range too

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shotguns with a limited range of birdshot over the berms is not a fair comparison to a bullet that can travel several miles. You said you've witnessed bullets hitting the top of the berms, how many went over the top you didn't see?
I can assure you our range in Ponca has addressed this issue multiple times.
Our pistol bays are on the North shooting South with 20' tall berms on three sides. The rifle bays are on the South side with shooting to the North, sharing opposite sides of the berms. Shooters on both sides have reported hearing bullets leaving the range. When we look into it, there is typically someone that has taken one of the steel challenge plates and leaned it up against the berm instead of hanging it on a range provided target stand where it has a downward slope so the splatter goes down and not up, or have been shooting at golf balls on the flat ground on the pistol bays.
I personally heard rifle rounds going over the berm while shooting pistol one day. I went to the rifle bay and saw some guys had set steel targets on the ground 10' away from the berm which is against range rules. The rounds were hitting short of the plates skipping up to hit the top of the plates and consequently going over the top of the berm.
Range rules against doing that are for a reason. It's a safety reason for those that are not in the range but may be riding a tractor a mile away or walking a field.
The liability of a tragic accident like that would likely have that range shut down.
I'm not addressing you with the following comments, but just a general statement from someone that has had to deal with this issue for many years now to no one specific.
If you want to shoot junk, zombie stuff, golf balls, roller targets, etc, go buy some land and set up your own range. Don't do this on public or private ranges where it's not allowed. You run the chance of losing that range. One persons stupid act can cause hundreds to lose their shooting area. The rules are there for a reason.

Latest posts

Top Bottom