Racism at OU

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious as to why you have so much butthurt with the Greek system?

I had to work 40 hrs a week to afford college.

There was a little animosity against the Greek thing in my day as well. Those in the frat houses seemed to not get drafted to go to Vietnam.

Those not in the house, were prime draftees.

Although it was a draft by number at the time, with certain qualifications like grade point average, and hours, the "special" folks got passes in the draft. In my case, I had the same draft number as a district judge's son, and an owner of a major manufacturing facility. Although they had lower grades/attendance than I did, they never got called up.

The person handling the draft/deferments was a local person to the county that was appointed. She was the person that made the decision for more than 20 years.

Coming back and going to college on the GI Bill, the greek folks were the very people protesting the war, calling those that were forced to fight cowards and baby killers, amongst other slurs.

It was not a great time to be a veteran. You never mentioned your service in job applications, or whatever.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You think they shouldn't be afforded due process?

You think death threats and assault is appropriate?

I dang sure don't agree with what these kids said. Yes I said kids. My daughter is on campus daily and they have been informed to not wear any Greek letters. A girl got pushed and spit on, property is being destroyed that is owned by people not even remotely related to the incident if they have their letters on them.
So yeah, waa....

Yes, getting your due process, anyone, is appropriate.

No, death threats and assaults are not appropriate in any normal situation. But then you get caught on someones camera degrading an entire race of people and chanting about ropes hung over trees to a certain race that is sensitive to that subject due to their history- then the assualts towards these people are just basic common sense that someone is going to get upset with these individuals and want to hurt them. Death threats are never funny, but neither is talking about ropes hung from trees. Hence the waaa, which is my version of subtle empathy...

I have a daughter on a university campus in Oklahoma myself. Another daughter on a Hawaiin campus. Another daughter on an Iowa campus. And a son on a campus in Arkansas. I worry about them all the time, especially in todays F'd up world. These individuals that started all of this did not help make my worrying any less, on the contrary, I now worry more.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to work 40 hrs a week to afford college.

There was a little animosity against the Greek thing in my day as well. Those in the frat houses seemed to not get drafted to go to Vietnam.

Those not in the house, were prime draftees.

Although it was a draft by number at the time, with certain qualifications like grade point average, and hours, the "special" folks got passes in the draft. In my case, I had the same draft number as a district judge's son, and an owner of a major manufacturing facility. Although they had lower grades/attendance than I did, they never got called up.

The person handling the draft/deferments was a local person to the county that was appointed. She was the person that made the decision for more than 20 years.

Coming back and going to college on the GI Bill, the greek folks were the very people protesting the war, calling those that were forced to fight cowards and baby killers, amongst other slurs.

It was not a great time to be a veteran. You never mentioned your service in job applications, or whatever.

Sorry but that has little to do with the greek system and more of past times. Definitely, has nothing to do with anything pertaining to the greek system in the last 30 years for sure. I like many others, held a full time job the entire time I went through school. Some fraternities and some members had a number of rich and privileged kids running around, but a majority in ours were working class kids. Never once were we involved in any liberal politics, I can honestly say that a vast majority wouldn't stand for it.

I'll say this..... to paraphrase what one of the former members around here, Michael Brown, for all of the conservative/libertarian speak around here..... some people sure seem to think they know what's best for others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry but that has little to do with the greek system and more of past times. Definitelyas nothing to do with anything in the last 30 years for sure, pertaining to the greek system. I like many others, held a full time job the entire time I went through school.

I'll say this..... to paraphrase what one of the former members around here, Michael Brown, for all of the conservative/libertarian speak around here..... some people sure seem to think they know what's best for others.

I'm just speaking from personal experience, not speculating from my time.

I've stood in veterans lines during protests in the 70's. Sometimes it got ugly.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Greek system is a breeding ground for elitist narcissists.

It's a useless institution primarily dysfunctioning as a distraction or detriment to education, empathy and equality on campus, which cannot legitimately justify it's own existence.

No need for reaching and ignorant generalizations. I get you're insanely bitter for some reason, but again.... just curious as to why?

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You think they shouldn't be afforded due process?

You think death threats and assault is appropriate?

I dang sure don't agree with what these kids said. Yes I said kids. My daughter is on campus daily and they have been informed to not wear any Greek letters. A girl got pushed and spit on, property is being destroyed that is owned by people not even remotely related to the incident if they have their letters on them.
So yeah, waa....

There is money to be made and people to hurt...they just need justification. People who like to hurt others physically or financially are begging you to do or say anything that can be categorized as racist and give them the fake justification they need to do what they already want to do. We saw it in Ferguson and these events are a microcosm of it. The black community is going to lose a lot of allies if they do not police this themselves. People who would otherwise have sympathy for what was said on the bus are going to forget about it pretty quick if people like your daughter that had nothing to do with it get spit on and abused. Mark my words...Dr. King was called the n-word even threatened and he still marched peacefully...he won over the hearts and minds of the majority that way. Robbing and mobbing is going to bolster support for the fraternity and then they can say "see, this is why we didn't want them in SAE". It isn't fair, but it is a real possibility.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, getting your due process, anyone, is appropriate.

No, death threats and assaults are not appropriate in any normal situation. But then you get caught on someones camera degrading an entire race of people and chanting about ropes hung over trees to a certain race that is sensitive to that subject due to their history- then the assualts towards these people are just basic common sense that someone is going to get upset with these individuals and want to hurt them. Death threats are never funny, but neither is talking about ropes hung from trees. Hence the waaa, which is my version of subtle empathy...

I have a daughter on a university campus in Oklahoma myself. Another daughter on a Hawaiin campus. Another daughter on an Iowa campus. And a son on a campus in Arkansas. I worry about them all the time, especially in todays F'd up world. These individuals that started all of this did not help make my worrying any less, on the contrary, I now worry more.

Right on. I don't agree with anything those kids did. Give them due process like anyone else and I wouldn't step foot back on campus if I was them, even if allowed.

Where's the outrage with the folks that want to conduct themselves in this manner.

Maybe Boren did the right thing. The whole campus might have been burnt down by now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom