Radio Shack 100 ch programmable home scanner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Yep, the gov done screwed all of us that liked to listen to what was going on around us.

Now it’s all digital, trunked, encrypted and double layer super secret.
OKC will be off EDACs in the next week or so (Public Safety) and then we'll start replacing radios for public works, trusts etc, and start cutting them over. We have about 8-9 other municipalities and agencies (all pub safety) on our system as well.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
OKC will be off EDACs in the next week or so (Public Safety) and then we'll start replacing radios for public works, trusts etc, and start cutting them over. We have about 8-9 other municipalities and agencies (all pub safety) on our system as well.
Are they moving to OKWIN?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0

For those of those who don’t speak the advanced radio tech language, does that mean we can go back to scanning like in the “old days”? Without high dollar advanced equipment? Would this scanner pick up that radio traffic?

Last edited:

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Are they moving to OKWIN?

LOL, not a chance. We just finished the new P25 system, and have pretty much moved PD and Fire over to it. We are now dealing with Trusts and other depts. over to it. We also have OCSO, Bethany, Warr Acres, Yukon, Mustang, PCSRO, OCU, OCCC, OCHA on our system.

OKC has built out their own new P25 system to replace their EDACS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct. PD and Fire will be cut completely over to P25 in the next week or so, I forgot the exact date. I work mostly on the MDC side, or anything mobile rather, but I work in the OKC Radio Shop, so my coworkers are the ones who built it out, and my guys handle the handhelds and mobile radios. The other side of the shop handles fixed equipment, so the radio towers, system, base stations, fire alerting etc.

For those of those who don’t speak the advanced radio tech language, does that mean we can go back to scanning like in the “old days”? Without high dollar advanced equipment? Would this scanner pick up that radio traffic?

No, it will be virtually impossible to listen to any radio traffic essentially.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
LOL, not a chance. We just finished the new P25 system, and have pretty much moved PD and Fire over to it. We are now dealing with Trusts and other depts. over to it. We also have OCSO, Bethany, Warr Acres, Yukon, Mustang, PCSRO, OCU, OCCC, OCHA on our system.

Correct. PD and Fire will be cut completely over to P25 in the next week or so, I forgot the exact date. I work mostly on the MDC side, or anything mobile rather, but I work in the OKC Radio Shop, so my coworkers are the ones who built it out, and my guys handle the handhelds and mobile radios. The other side of the shop handles fixed equipment, so the radio towers, system, base stations, fire alerting etc.

No, it will be virtually impossible to listen to any radio traffic essentially.

How long have you worked there? I retired from OCFD in 2007.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
How long have you worked there? I retired from OCFD in 2007.

Started March of 2011. We still have one employee that belongs to Fire, the rest of the shop falls under IT now. We've also absorbed CCTV, and the tornado sirens since you've left. Most everything else we do probably still fell under the shop at the time of your retirement.

Lowlife

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into SDR (Software Defines Radio) you can listen to pretty much anything (except encrypted traffic), with a low power computer and some mobile devices very inexpensively.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/

2 of these (you can use one but the way trunked systems work it is better to use 2)

https://www.amazon.com/NooElec-NESDR-Smart-Enclosure-R820T2-Based/dp/B01HA642SW/ref=sr_1_18?crid=391Y79LOM6Y87&dchild=1&keywords=sdr+dongle&qid=1591563851&sprefix=sdr,aps,175&sr=8-18

Same thing a little cheaper on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NESDR-SMAr...-Metal-Case-SMA-R820T2-RTL2832U-/162132282077

Cheaper options are available also.

Software lile Unitrunker, DSD+ ect. have come a long ways.

Latest posts

Top Bottom