Radio Shack 100 ch programmable home scanner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
We have a hand held scanner we used years ago to listen in on fire, storm spotters and police reports. Now you can't get anything. Everytime I pass a cop car, they have a cell phone stuck to their ear so I guess that's how they are staying off the radio spectrum.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Still listen with 5-0 Radio iPhone app but I guess that’s about to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
We have a hand held scanner we used years ago to listen in on fire, storm spotters and police reports. Now you can't get anything. Everytime I pass a cop car, they have a cell phone stuck to their ear so I guess that's how they are staying off the radio spectrum.

Nope, its all trunked and encrypted. There are a few ways to listen to a few of the channels/talk groups right now, but stuff like Air One, Tac channels etc are all key encrypted. Once we are fully over to the new system, you wont be able to listen to anything.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Nope, its all trunked and encrypted. There are a few ways to listen to a few of the channels/talk groups right now, but stuff like Air One, Tac channels etc are all key encrypted. Once we are fully over to the new system, you wont be able to listen to anything.

All talk groups will be encrypted? Even the mostly boring stuff like the airport shuttles, public works, etc.?

Also, what about the OKC PD / Fire Dispatch links to OKWIN?

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Look into SDR (Software Defines Radio) you can listen to pretty much anything (except encrypted traffic), with a low power computer and some mobile devices very inexpensively.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/

2 of these (you can use one but the way trunked systems work it is better to use 2)

https://www.amazon.com/NooElec-NESDR-Smart-Enclosure-R820T2-Based/dp/B01HA642SW/ref=sr_1_18?crid=391Y79LOM6Y87&dchild=1&keywords=sdr+dongle&qid=1591563851&sprefix=sdr,aps,175&sr=8-18

Same thing a little cheaper on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NESDR-SMAr...-Metal-Case-SMA-R820T2-RTL2832U-/162132282077

Cheaper options are available also.

Software lile Unitrunker, DSD+ ect. have come a long ways.
So these little USB thingys are the new scanners?

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
All talk groups will be encrypted? Even the mostly boring stuff like the airport shuttles, public works, etc.?

Also, what about the OKC PD / Fire Dispatch links to OKWIN?

OK, so apparently Primary PD and Fire will be unencrypted for media purposes, and same for public works. Tac channels and County Health Authority will be encrypted. Prior to COVID County Health was on OKWIN. I just asked the guy who handles that side to get those answers. I primarily handle client stuff, break/fix type stuff.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
OK, so apparently Primary PD and Fire will be unencrypted for media purposes, and same for public works. Tac channels and County Health Authority will be encrypted. Prior to COVID County Health was on OKWIN. I just asked the guy who handles that side to get those answers. I primarily handle client stuff, break/fix type stuff.

Thank you Bigfug. That seems to be similar to how it is now. I’ll just need to reprogram / possibly upgrade my scanner for the new system. Mine only does early P25 but does other systems fine. I’m assuming OKC will be the latest P25 (Phase II?).

I can certainly understand the tac channels being encrypted. It would be too easy for the bad guys to follow police response to their criminal activities. Interestingly, Edmond has their tac channels unencrypted. Some interesting stuff on there at times.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0

Are the frequencies for Okc on the Radio Reference website accurate?

Latest posts

Top Bottom