Raised garden beds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If'n ya don't care how it looks, build a frame/base with wood or cinder blocks. Then set a kiddie pool from Wally-World on top of it. Drill a few holes for drainage, fill it with dirt, and wah-la.....easy, cheap raised beds. Won't have to worry about weeds with the dirt not being in contact with the ground.

Old guttering attached to your fence also provides non-bend over gardening.

Good luck with your garden!

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because of my ribs the docs do not wanting me bending any more than I have to. I was looking at raised garden beds but the kits completely nuts.

I wonder what it would cost to build something like this with treated lumber and with the beds at around a 3 foot height so I did not have to bend much.

Anyone have any idea of cost?

View attachment 159546

We're up to 5 of them now, 5'x10'x 24"tall run me about $60 in 2x4s and 4x4s, but then my sheet metal is free from work so the $$ is in lumber and screws only.. It takes a LOT of fill, that's were the cows spent hay comes in.. Pooey hay, hand mixed with our topsoil..
20200326_102612.jpg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A true hydroponics system uses a tank full of water and fish and circulated the fishy crap water through the plant troughs which feeds the plants and you just feed the fish, so you end up harvesting large fish and vegetables and simply replace the fish with more small ones.
My brother did that a few years ago. He had 55gal plastic drums split lengthwise filled with pea gravel, and one of those big totes with fish in it. He fed the fish, the fish pooped in the water, and PVC piping carried the poo water up to the plants in the pea gravel. It seems like it worked OK, but I don't know why he quit doing it (though I think he stopped doing it about the time he got started with chickens).

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does the metal heat the soil up to much during the summer months? Wife is afraid of roasted veggies before we get them picked. :P

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a pretty large setup

HTB1ZRQRrgoQMeJjy0Fpq6ATxpXaz.jpg_.webp

60 minutes did an expose a few years ago on raising tilapia fish in a similar situation, but they were raising chickens instead of leafy green vegetables on top of the fish. The fish were eating chicken poop for food. The fish that was exported to the US was carrying all kinds of bad stuff that basically was bad for humans and sold in every store across the US.
Since watching that, I've never eaten any tilapia at home or restaurants.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does the metal heat the soil up to much during the summer months? Wife is afraid of roasted veggies before we get them picked. :P

This is new for us, so zero experience so far.. We had to do something for our backs and knees though.. Mulching and watering "should" keep the excess heat at bay, fingers crossed..

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is new for us, so zero experience so far.. We had to do something for our backs and knees though.. Mulching and watering "should" keep the excess heat at bay, fingers crossed..
Is there any shade around your beds? I use to have 16 raised beds that were on the east side of some of my shade trees. The shade would hit about 6 in the evening so it made cooler picking and tending to my plants. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Top Bottom