Rancher in Nevada being harassed by the FEDS and confiscating his cattle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The .gov legal team that pursue'd that avenue of prosecution needs to be jailed.
It constantly amazes me how one can attempt to put a person in jail for the rest of their life and when proven to be false evidence or deny'ing evidence to prove the person innocent walk away scott free. How does that happen? If anyone as a lawyer dedicate to upholding the truth, how does anyone in that profession prefer an innocent person spend and ruin their lives to get a plus on their score card and I can assure you that the score card exists.
Person spends 20 years in prison and gets out on appeal because the DA won't allow evidence to exonerate the accused because they want another win in their column is incredible.
This needs changed, but the legal association is all on board with it. Its about money/reputation/score card, not guilty or innocent.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This needs changed, but the legal association is all on board with it. Its about money/reputation/score card, not guilty or innocent.
I beg to differ. There are quite a few of us who have a problem with it. Hell, there are even prosecutors who have a problem with it, though they're too few and far between.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You would be in the small minority in that belief that the score card doesn't exist, especially in the elected County/ state offices.
I think you as a young idealistic attorney want to make things right, and I admire you for that position.
I've seen you on both sides, some what on the other, but when the education system is slanted to the right, it would be tough to come out of it non biased.
Enjoy the bantering.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You would be in the small minority in that belief that the score card doesn't exist, especially in the elected County/ state offices.
I think you as a young idealistic attorney want to make things right, and I admire you for that position.
I've seen you on both sides, some what on the other, but when the education system is slanted to the right, it would be tough to come out of it non biased.
Enjoy the bantering.
Oh, I believe full well the scorecard exists, especially in the smaller offices (where the candidates know the voters personally, and have to answer for why the guy "everybody" knows "did it" got away with it...when they see those voters in church on Sunday, or at the local diner, or whatever).

I think you may be misinterpreting some of what I say as far as being on "both sides." If I'm thinking of the same thing you're thinking of, I often try to explain what the logic behind some decisions, cases, or principles are; that doesn't necessarily mean I hold to those positions, just that I'm trying to put them in context (though I do try to keep my principles steady, even when it means they'll benefit somebody who I believe to be in the wrong--principles are no principles at all if they're discarded when inconvenient).

As to the education system, I think I'd call it more slanted to the left (though "obey authority" seems to be a fairly universal commandment, if interpreted differently between the left and the right).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I believe full well the scorecard exists, especially in the smaller offices (where the candidates know the voters personally, and have to answer for why the guy "everybody" knows "did it" got away with it...when they see those voters in church on Sunday, or at the local diner, or whatever).

I think you may be misinterpreting some of what I say as far as being on "both sides." If I'm thinking of the same thing you're thinking of, I often try to explain what the logic behind some decisions, cases, or principles are; that doesn't necessarily mean I hold to those positions, just that I'm trying to put them in context (though I do try to keep my principles steady, even when it means they'll benefit somebody who I believe to be in the wrong--principles are no principles at all if they're discarded when inconvenient).

As to the education system, I think I'd call it more slanted to the left (though "obey authority" seems to be a fairly universal commandment, if interpreted differently between the left and the right).

I'm just a redneck in the Osage county woods.
You might know some of the folks I know in your neck of the woods that have argued before the Supreme Court.
Some evenings spent at the pool table in their residence.
When I said both sides, you do as I do at times to present information, not to take a side. Just to get the info out there.
Sometimes that side offends those that have not researched the information, and I've been guilty of doing the same, but in the end of the conversation, the truth typically rules.
Enjoy the banter.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One big stumbling block is the nowhere-in-the-Constitution edict that one must be injured by bad law to have standing in order to challenge a bad law, 'regulation,' or a simple misapplication of either law or 'regulation.'

"(--(P)rinciples are no principles at all if they're discarded when inconvenient)".

This is so very true. All too often principles are discarded when in the way of an eristic lawyer, court, or a business, or broker, or a political party or politician for that matter. I believe this can play a part in the issue of having standing.

Woody

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One big stumbling block is the nowhere-in-the-Constitution edict that one must be injured by bad law to have standing in order to challenge a bad law, 'regulation,' or a simple misapplication of either law or 'regulation.'
It kind of is in there. See https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/controversy and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_or_Controversy_Clausefor a good explanation; in short, the courts only hear actual cases or controversies between the parties. If I hit dennishoddy in the face, he might have a beef with me, but you don't; you have no controversy with me, and therefore standing to sue me for it. Standing (and the related doctrine of "mootness") work to keep only actual controversies before the courts (and even they have some exceptions; Roe v. Wade is an outstanding--and appropriate--example of a mootness exception*).

* "The controversial case of Roe v. Wade was a notable exception to the actual controversy requirement. Justice Harry Blackmun wrote that due to the natural limitation of the human gestation period, issues concerning pregnancy will always come to term before the appellate process is complete. Roe v. Wade 410 U.S. 113 (1973). In essence, the rigid application of the actual controversy requirement would effectively deny review. Therefore, the Supreme Court held that a ban on abortion was unconstitutional despite the issue being moot."
--Wikipedia, cited above.

Latest posts

Top Bottom