Reality of Surviving SHTF.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wanna share some thoughts and spur a little conversation.

Over the years I've always been fascinated by refugees and refugee camps. I always wondered why Jews didn't fight back instead of starving to death. Why can't people just walk away when SHTF?

Well I've been watching ISIS and that mess and I seen where about 60,000+ people just bugged out of their town an headed to safety in Turkey. That like Shawnee bugging out for Texas (kinda).

Anyway, this raised some questions. Many of us "prep", some are bugging in, others bugging out. Imagine if Oklahoma had a Ebola outbreak and the Govt shut off our borders. No supplies in or out of our State, check points all at our borders. Military patrols our border.

Sorry but chaos is gonna reign in cities without resupply. You preps will be exposed, disease may be rampant. Gangs will rule, you will bug out or get burned out.

You will become a refugee. You will migrate somewhere. Sure you can group up but your gonna migrate. Food is gonna be very scarce very fast. Noway can you pack your food around, with guns and ammo. Maybe for a few days but prolly not much longer. Perhaps that's why refugees don't carry AKs, kinda makes them a target or threat. Maybe you could stash a handgun in your BOB.

Even if you or your group made it to your BOL, defending your preps would exhaust you. Besides as soon as anyone stumbled in, it wouldn't be too long and the Raiders would come. Then what?? Fight? Sure ya could but they'd wear ya down eventually. It wouldn't be worth the cost. Besides most ppl ain't gonna carry a gun and enough bullets. Remember our soldiers must be resupplyed every few days and if there is a firefight....yikes, resupply, medivac, water, rations, ammo....one or 2 real firefights and you'll be out of the fight or just exhausted. Combat ain't easy on the body and we have no way to relax, or get resupplied.

Again you'd be on the move, a refugee.

Them Arabs that are going to Turkey, they are a mix of farmers, veterans, business men and skilled labor. They are us on a micro scale. I'm sure they had some preps. A little food, a lil water, couple of lighters, a knife and maybe a gun. But they aint packing alot and they're heading into the desert. They'll end up in a refugee camp.

We wouldn't really be much different. Just grab a few things n go. Migrating to wherever there may be food or medicine. Away from danger and disease.

You can forget living off the land unless you resort to eating grass. Imagine 60,000 ppl walking any where. They'll be strung out n stopping at every house along the way. Stopping at every pond, river, lake and stream. The handy lil water straws ain't gonna be enough if someone sees ya have one, you'll share or fight. Cattle n livestock won't last long, plus ya can't really preserve n carry meat. So it'd be more like shoot a cow n eat for a day n move on.

Every house is gonna get ransacked and picked over hopefully they dont get burned down. But you can bet they'll be occupied regularly.

And forget bout growing and rebuilding....way to much work, besides you'll be too starved to do the kinda farming it's gonna take to survive another year. The idea of a community pulling together is a good one but without prior organization and planning, residents will starve. Noway can a Oklahoma small town be defended and not be resupplied. Ya might block off a road n put on a show...but hunger will win out. There will be a fight, you'll be compromised. The town will migrate. Or become a refugee camp.

Nope, if you end up having to bug out, you better start thinking about what it's gonna be like being a refugee. Guaranteed if our Govt collapsed or SHTF, your best laid plan ain't gonna last more than a month before you're on the move.

I'm not saying you should resign yourself to a refugee camp but it wouldn't hurt to prep yourself, just in case.

So what do you absolutely need to live in a refugee camp???

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's a little scenario that you can control but still get a semi realistic idea of bugging in during SHTF.

Turn your breakers off, shut your water n gas off and think how long you could live without leaving your house or seeing ppl.

Then think about walking to any of our borders and having to carry guns, ammo, food, water....you can't possibly carry enough for 30 days unless you get resupplied. Especially if ya got a family.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Large cities and small suburban towns will certainly have to move(refugees) for resources, but I think you underestimate the rural farming communities(places with nothing more than a conveniant store/gas station, post office, and church). I also think that a quarantine would be handled differently. Shut the borders and test. Negative tests would go to an ebola free refugee camp and await evactuation to beyond the quarantine zone, while positive tests would go to a concentration camp to be treated or left to die. I don't think the military would simply shut the borders and leave us all here to fend for ourselves....but stranger things have happened.

Latest posts

Top Bottom