Reccomend me a Mauser.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maffarazo

Marksman
Reaction score
Hello, I'm in the market for a Mauser. Turkish, German, Swedish, etc
doesn't matter to me. I have no hands on experience with Mausers
personally. I'll mostly be plinking / shooting at the range. I'm not
looking for 1" groups but I'd like it to be relatively accurate ( more
than my mosin ) And my price range is probably under 500$ can go
over if it looks awesome. I've been looking at the VZ 24 and some of
swedish ones.

Do you guys have any mausers that you would reccomend? Thanks

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If $500 is your budget for a range rifle, definitely get the best Swedish M96 Mauser you can find. Fantastic accuracy compared to just about any other Mauser in that price range, and a primo example can be gotten for less than $400, easily. I'd suggest looking for a M96 that's gotten the FSR (Swedish volunteer shooter's organization) treatment so it has a rear diopter and hooded front sight set; while harder to find, those are a real pleasure to shoot and usually go for around $400 depending on which rear diopter it has. Just make sure the conversion is well-done with good bedding (if any); here's a link for more info: http://dutchman.rebooty.com/fsr.html

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look for a VZ-24 or a K98k. They have a little more oomph and history than any other mauser except maybe a Chinese used mauser. Russian captures are fairly cheap and are a good investment as they are only going up. ANd theres nothing like having that skullcrusher work on your shoulder after a good day of shooting.

i360.photobucket.com_albums_oo46_Falconfansince80_pics1045.jpg

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd go for a VZ24, or even an M1922 if you're looking for accuracy in 8mm.

I'd go for a k98 if you're looking for an investment.

I'd go for a Swede if you're looking for overall accuracy.

I'd go for a Turk or a Yugo if you're going to let it rattle around under the seat of a truck.

Really, you should get a few of each.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd go for a VZ24, or even an M1922 if you're looking for accuracy in 8mm.

I'd go for a k98 if you're looking for an investment.

I'd go for a Swede if you're looking for overall accuracy.

I'd go for a Turk or a Yugo if you're going to let it rattle around under the seat of a truck.

Really, you should get a few of each.

^^this. you may also want to look at some of the Spanish 7mm Mausers, they are generally very accurate.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If $500 is your budget for a range rifle, definitely get the best Swedish M96 Mauser you can find. Fantastic accuracy compared to just about any other Mauser in that price range, and a primo example can be gotten for less than $400, easily. I'd suggest looking for a M96 that's gotten the FSR (Swedish volunteer shooter's organization) treatment so it has a rear diopter and hooded front sight set; while harder to find, those are a real pleasure to shoot and usually go for around $400 depending on which rear diopter it has. Just make sure the conversion is well-done with good bedding (if any); here's a link for more info: http://dutchman.rebooty.com/fsr.html

This is really good info. As for the hooded front sight, it is an add-on and can be purchased at most big gun shows. The diopter sight is cool too. It also can be purchased separately but may be a little more difficult to find. Folks like SAMCO should have them...possibly Gun Parts too. I've noticed it is getting a bit harder to find really good M96's with all numbers matching. Remember, the Swedes have serial numbers on just about everything. The most important is the bolt and the receiver; they should match but if they don't you can have a gun smith check out the head spacing to make sure the rifle is OK to shoot. M96's are reliable and fun...very accurate as noted above.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boehler is correct about the matching numbers and finding the diopters separately; a clue as to whether a M96 has been through the FSR is to look for a pair of holes drilled and tapped diagonally (sometimes straight across) in the top of the bridge. Measuring the distance between the two holes can help narrow down the diopter that will fit the holes. Here's a pic of two FSR-treated M96's, with a M/41B sniper rifle on the far right. The diopters on the two are an Elit on the left, and a Faldt on the right. Elits and Soderins will probably be the most common diopters around, with Elits being an excellent choice IMHO.

i738.photobucket.com_albums_xx29_Perplexed0_Misc_Trio_Swedes.jpg

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
$500 can get you alot. Id go for a swiss, Spanish FR8, k98, vz24, then a yugo. Again for that kinda money ya might be able to get 2.

Latest posts

Top Bottom