Recommend Tractor Upgrade From My Ford 4000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking for some ideas on what to buy after I sell my Ford 4000. It is a 3 cyl gas, 45 HP, 2WD with a front end loader. Shes been a decent old junky tractor but just doesn't do quite what I need her to. I am looking for something in 4wd with a little bit more power but really not sure what to look for or avoid in tractor brands or models. My budget is around $10k and I will be using it mainly for road work, brush hogging, general ranch type use. I would like something with hydraulic downforce also if that is possible in my budget.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Unless you think you'll just need 4x4, you can get a much heavier 2wd tractor with more hp for way less money than a 4x4 of the same hp. A two wheel drive with locked rear will go almost anywhere a 4x4 wheel, especially for what you've described. You'll be safe with the JD, Kubotas, Mahindras and New Hollands. I know little about the kyotis, Bransons, etc and have never seen very many off the lot in use. For $10k you'll barely be able to buy a newer, used 18hp-25hp 4x4 tractor from what I've seen recently.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want more power in a 4x4 tractor and you have a budget of $10K, you’ll need to look for an older model with a good number of hours on it. I have a 4x4 Cub Cadet Yanmar with 32 hp and FEL, and I’ve appreciated the extra drive wheels on enough occasions that I would want 4x4 on any new tractor. But I paid considerably more than $10K for less power than you want, so you’d need to think about bumping up your budget if you can... by at least 50%, and you’d still be looking at used tractors.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you'll have a tough time finding a 4x4 of much size in the 10k area. As for us we only buy 4x4 tractors nowadays but I've been through some serious mud in a 2wd jd4040 and 4440. If I had a $10k budget, I would sacrifice getting 4wd for getting a bigger tractor.
Those older 2wd 40 series Deeres had ground clearance. They'd usually get down to hard ground before they'd high center.

Last edited:

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure to get hydraulic down pressure you gonna have to step the budget up pretty good or find an "industrial" grade tractor. Like a yellow Deere. A friend of mine hunted one of those down with a hellacious box blade for working roads. It looked like a Deere hoe but had a box blade instead of a hoe. I'm pretty sure it had a pto??? But, it was definitely suited for dirt work.

Last edited:

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks for the advice so far guys. I am buying used no matter what, Ive never bought any new vehicle off or on road. I would go up to $15k if it was nice I was just hoping to stay around $10k if possible. I have had to borrow a 4x4 tractor to get some stuff done around here that really needed it and it would sure be nice to have one.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks for the advice so far guys. I am buying used no matter what, Ive never bought any new vehicle off or on road. I would go up to $15k if it was nice I was just hoping to stay around $10k if possible. I have had to borrow a 4x4 tractor to get some stuff done around here that really needed it and it would sure be nice to have one.
Yup. These daggum new tractors have gotten so expensive it drives used values up. I'll keep an eye out in case I see something that might suit your needs. I assume you're fine with an open station?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If you're bucket is the most important part, I'd look at lift capacities and go from there. I'm not sure you'll find a 30hp 4x4 that will lift a round bale unless they've changed things up over the last few years.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking for some ideas on what to buy after I sell my Ford 4000. It is a 3 cyl gas, 45 HP, 2WD with a front end loader. Shes been a decent old junky tractor but just doesn't do quite what I need her to. I am looking for something in 4wd with a little bit more power but really not sure what to look for or avoid in tractor brands or models. My budget is around $10k and I will be using it mainly for road work, brush hogging, general ranch type use. I would like something with hydraulic downforce also if that is possible in my budget.
Forget it, start at $30K.

Latest posts

Top Bottom