Red Dot placement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so with red dots mostly being unlimited eye relief...how do you decide where to put one on the top of your rifle?

What are the reasons/pros/cons of being closer to the front, middle or back of the rifle?

I slapped one on my MPX, a bit aft of center and it seemed to shoot good...but maybe there's a reason to have it more strategically placed?

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have bushnell's TR', couple of vortex's and a Holosom (sp?) and I just put them where they feel good. I've got the same optic on a hand gun and a rifle so I'm comfortable it being at the end of my hand but if I was wanting accuracy at distance, I'd set it closer to center with a bit more to the rear of the rail. Over the action is good for me. As far as weight, your talking about the High end multi function ACOG perhaps and I have no idea on weight. Just my Opinion

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Strategically place where you like it!! Other wise you gonna start the whole 9mm -.45 argument again. Besides with out pics of said armament with red dot, this thread is useless!! Pretty sure there is a picture clause in the forum rules some where.:cool:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its been posted before. I'm going to be upgrading the optic soon so figured I'd do more thinking of its placement instead of just randomly tossing it on there.

Sig MPX Copperhead Black.jpg

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Its been posted before. I'm going to be upgrading the optic soon so figured I'd do more thinking of its placement instead of just randomly tossing it on there.

View attachment 172106

Not really my thing , but that is pretty sweet !!

Seems like no matter how much theory I put into mounting optics I always end up changing it at the range!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put mine as far away as comfortable. I use both eyes open when shooting the dot so when it's further away there is more side vision available.
The beauty of the AR platform is that you can move it a half dozen times during a shooting session to make it good for your intended purpose. If you don't like it move it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom