Redneck tire mounting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Watched a few truck tires get mounted that way. Very interesting when you are a few feet away to say the least.

Same guy I watched do that and I used to change tires by hand and what I mean by that is spoon the tire off the rim and back on. Never did the ether trick myself but it's great to have a can if you pop a bead off when you are in the mid

dle of nowhere and can't put the spare on.

using flammable spray to seat a large tire is a useful skill to learn. just not worth taking the risk with smaller tires. plain ole high pressure air work just fine.

the best thing to do is not do it at all .. but if you are stuck with a tire hanging off the rim with no source of high pressure air like those four wheelers. it's really important NOT to over use flammable spray. notice in above video how little spray is used vs the too large explosion(s) generated by using way, way too much spray in OP's videos.

starting fluid, carb cleaner, spray engine cleaner, etc can be used. it's amazing the explosive force generated by flammable particles suspended in the air.

just don't use too much and as a last resort. much better to use say a strap to force bead to seat with high pressure air .. or a special tire seating tool.

www.northerntool.com_images_product_400x400_121_121488_400x400.jpg

www.gemplers.com_img_ken_toolreg_adjustable_WEBT132_lrg.jpg

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ditto. Have actually used a come-along on some of those to force the beads outward, but ether (or even gasoline) works pretty well once you figure out the right amount to use. It don't take much.

I always used matches, but you don't have to actually throw it into the tire. Just get close enough and the fumes will catch.

Always makes me laugh when I see movies where the bad guy's holding a lighter (lol, or a flare) just above a pool of gasoline. I wonder how many people have been injured thinking that's actually possible.
More than a few I'll bet.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Goes right along the line of pranking friends by coating your hand in vaseline and then spraying on a little rubbing alcohol. You can light the alcohol on fire and not burn as the vaseline protects your hand.

Have heard the inadvertent story of people being told it was vaseline and gasoline. The person who uses that recipe ends up in the ER with severe burns since they instead created something along the lines of napalm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom