Refreshed the Crickett

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought this about 8yrs ago for my first daughter. It's on its 3rd daughter now. None of them shot it well with the peep sight and large front sight. Decided today to see if I could help it and my 3yo daughter out. Now I don't have to try to figure out if they are lining everything up as much. Went ahead and free floated the barrel while I was jacking with it. Tomorrow is range day, we have several things on several guns to mess with. Will also try out the new chronograph.
EDIT: I may cut the buttstock down some. By the time the girls have gotten long armed and necked enough for this rifle, I've got better rifles they can fit. Ones with magazines and without pull knobs to cock n such.

IMG_3162.JPG

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You've done a heck of a job so far with that stock. I likey the laminated wood stocks. Got several rifles with that pattern.
Heck of a red dot on it. It doesn't look familiar. What brand/model is it?

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You've done a heck of a job so far with that stock. I likey the laminated wood stocks. Got several rifles with that pattern.
Heck of a red dot on it. It doesn't look familiar. What brand/model is it?
Cheap one from Walmart. Bills didn't have any cheap ones. Other than a little sanding to float the barrel, the stock is as it came from Walmart. $39 I think the dot cost.

IMG_3168.JPG

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cheap one from Walmart. Bills didn't have any cheap ones. Other than a little sanding to float the barrel, the stock is as it came from Walmart. $39 I think the dot cost.
I'm sure as you've already seen, kids quickly get bored with the open the bolt, insert one round, close bolt, align the sights and squeeze the crappy trigger, rinse and repeat. Then get disappointed when they aren't hitting what they are aiming at.
Most are used to video games now even at a really young age where they have access to simulated video automatic or semi auto virtual guns.
The red dot is a great idea, and a semi auto lets them shoot more.
My thoughts may not be agreeable with some others thinking of starting a kid shooting, but its my personal experience.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta keep it fun Mr. Hoddy! That's why I've built em lil steel cows, cowboys n such to shoot. They also have fun trying to match each other shot for shot. Maybe we should start playing "HORSE" or something too.
Great Idea! A little competition is good for fun.

Edit: We used little plastic army men and red ryders for targets back in the day.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My kids used chapstick containers and set them up all over the place, then we walked the trail side by side and engaged as we go. Great fun with a Mini-14 or a model 60... Now the boys (20 and 15) just shoot the steel by the creek, and the random pig or two that is visiting the waters edge...lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom