Reloading advice for a newbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrChris

Sniper
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have decided to start reloading and would like some input from some of the seasoned guys here.
Am I better served buying a "Starter Kit" or acquiring the necessary tools individually either new or possibly on the used market to save some coin?
I plan to load both rifle and pistol cartridges.
Any input would be appreciated.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have decided to start reloading and would like some input from some of the seasoned guys here.
Am I better served buying a "Starter Kit" or acquiring the necessary tools individually either new or possibly on the used market to save some coin?

Start cheap at first, see if you like it ..... Some buy a bunch of high dollar crap and then decide this hobby sucks and then take a big loss . I started with a Lee single stage and 45acp dies . Buy used and hit up the wanted section. Lot of the guys have stuff siting around . I have a Lee single stage and a Lee beam scale that I have not used in well over a year. Single stage has been repaired( don't ask and I won't lie LoL) but is serviceable and you can have them if you want them . If you find you hate it or up grade just pass em on.
Also finding components right now is a huge pain in the buttocks . Again... wanted section is your friend.

By the way I love like the quiet time after dealing with construction pukes all day so I have to say it can be extremely relaxing IF you like the process.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bunch of stuff in a Kit i would not use.
okierider is right get a single stage press for starters.
I started with a lee classic cast iron and it will never break.

I got my neighbor started with this.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013020843?pid=814175

They were in stock a few months ago $125
I have one and it does just as well as a single stage and I have removed the auto index deal and use it as a single stage that you manually move.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started with an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit many years ago. I used every piece included for several years, and several pieces (press, lube pad, case block, etc.) are still being used. However, some pieces have been upgraded. The powder dispenser and beam scale was replaced with a digital scale / dispenser and the chamfer / deburring tool was replaced with a case prep center. I also upgraded to progressive presses (RCBS Pro 2000 and Dillion 650) but the Rock Chucker single stage still gets used for most rifle cartridges and specialty work like depriming, and prep work for military brass (swag primer pockets).

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

May I ask why you want to start reloading?

What is your end goals, volume, timeline, etc?

This is probably the worst time I can remember to start reloading and I’ve been doing it about 40 years.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-...oading-kits/lee-classic-cast-turret-press-kit

This is my go-to recommendation for a starting kit. The turret press works great for both rifle and handgun ammo. You can run it single stage, or use the auto index to speed up handgun loading. I would add a good digital scale and a set of calipers, and you will have all the basics you'll need. Lee Equipment isn't top of the line, but it does make excellent ammo, and won't break the bank.

MrChris

Sniper
Special Hen
Reaction score
May I ask why you want to start reloading?

What is your end goals, volume, timeline, etc?

This is probably the worst time I can remember to start reloading and I’ve been doing it about 40 years.

I want to start reloading for a number of reasons. Number one would be to start dialing in the "right load" for my weapons.
Second would be to hopefully avoid any ammo shortages or "regulations" in the future. Finally my last reason is to have a hobby that I can pass some of the evening downtime being productive as opposed to sitting here mindlessly scrolling on the phone or the PC.

End goals would be to replenish the 400 rounds give or take we are burning through every weekend, as well as building a stockpile of ammo over the next few years.

I have read alot of things stating that this is the worst time to get into reloading. Would you care to elaborate on what exaxtly is making this the worst time to start?

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to start reloading for a number of reasons. Number one would be to start dialing in the "right load" for my weapons.
Second would be to hopefully avoid any ammo shortages or "regulations" in the future. Finally my last reason is to have a hobby that I can pass some of the evening downtime being productive as opposed to sitting here mindlessly scrolling on the phone or the PC.

End goals would be to replenish the 400 rounds give or take we are burning through every weekend, as well as building a stockpile of ammo over the next few years.

I have read alot of things stating that this is the worst time to get into reloading. Would you care to elaborate on what exaxtly is making this the worst time to start?

with the pandemic and election results prices are higher than normal and it’s hard to find components.

Latest posts

Top Bottom