Reloading - Does the bullet really matter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reloading for 20+ years and have never been concerned with substituting a bullet in a published recipe. In other words, as long as the bullet is the same caliber and weight is the same, I've substituted bullets. I know the BC, ogive, length, etc. can be different. However, if you compensate with measurements to match the recipe - no problems in my experience.

I bring this up because I've read posts on other forums where people strictly follow the recipe for every component. Anybody have an opinion?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It's never been a concern for me. The only bullet I ever adjusted for was a Barnes bullet with non Barnes data as they run longer than most. I just reduced the load by 2gr and went from there.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always match the case capacity with the bullet I'm using inserted. An extreme example: 9mm round nose will have a drastically differing OAL (longer) than a FP/JHP. If someone were to load a RN to an OAL set up for a FP/JHP they'd get in trouble on the first round fired due to the bullet consuming a lot more case capacity.

In reality OAL doesn't tell you anything other than if it will fit in a magazine. Beyond that it's only a reference point that is easily measured, it really means nothing.

So to answer the OP's question. Yes, the bullet matters greatly...

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Is there any chance that the "yes or no" answer here might depend on whether reloading rifle vs pistol rounds? I can see where this could be a factor.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always match the case capacity with the bullet I'm using inserted. An extreme example: 9mm round nose will have a drastically differing OAL (longer) than a FP/JHP. If someone were to load a RN to an OAL set up for a FP/JHP they'd get in trouble on the first round fired due to the bullet consuming a lot more case capacity.

In reality OAL doesn't tell you anything other than if it will fit in a magazine. Beyond that it's only a reference point that is easily measured, it really means nothing.

So to answer the OP's question. Yes, the bullet matters greatly...
That's an interesting thought. So, if the bullet lengths are the same - no problem? I've always been concerned with ogive just to make sure I stay off the rifling.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bullet lengths of the same weight are not seated to the same depth. Talking rifle here. Bullets with a high BC like Barnes TTSX, Bergers, etc in .308 diameter designed for long range are much longer than say a Sierra 165 grain BTHP.
If you shove it into a case with a max load for the standard bullet you've been shooting your going to generate higher pressures. These bullets are seated further out by necessity. They do have to fit into a magazine, or mag well. Backing off the max load and working back up is required for safety.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's an interesting thought. So, if the bullet lengths are the same - no problem? I've always been concerned with ogive just to make sure I stay off the rifling.

Not necessarily. Look at it backwards from where the ogive starts to the base of the bullet. That's going to vary. You want the same amount of bearing surface of the bullet inside of the case. Obviously you can't alway achieve this and that's why you have to vary powder charges. I like to start with the SAAMI cartridge drawing and work from that. EDIT: If you are using load data from Speer and loading Speer bullets for instance, there's no reason to bother with any of this as they've already done the math. Just go by their data and sleep easy.

The smaller the case the more sensitive it will be to variance. 9mm is a small case and pretty sensitive to changes in internal volume all other things being equal. .357 Magnum would give a lot more leeway in comparison. Hope this makes sense.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
What's your thinking here? Boat tail bullet versus flat base affecting casing volume?

Could be, I really don't reload enough small cased pistol cartridges to know the base differences available. The smallest I load for is .41 mag and up. I can see where not following the suggested data for each bullet in a small case and using a bullet that takes up more case volume could cause issues. I don't see enough difference in lengths in rifle bullets of the same weight to matter imo, other than the Barnes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom