Remember when...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many $25 marlin 60 beaters I fixed up and sold off over the years. Terrific little plinkers, easy to work on. No telling how many OSA members have their kids and grandkids shooting on a 22 I rebuilt. It's gotta be 20-25.

I'm a Ruger 10/22 fan boy. At last count, I was in the double digits. Some look like AR's, others like a g36, fal, m1, even had one with a 30" barrel and a barrett m82 type muzzle break on it. Sure, out of the box a cheap plinker isn't much in terms of accuracy, but the fun of it is dumping a grand into one and measuring .30 groups at a century mark and hearing that thud of striking a prairie dog. Somehow it seems more humane than cutting one in half with the 284 norma.

I've probably done that myself over a dozen times with those Marlins. I still have a sack of them in the corner that i need to fix.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 1022 I was consistently hitting 22 cases at 25 yards with last summer. The gotcha is I have over $600 bucks and quite a bit of time in it. Only item that hasn't been replaced or massaged is the receiver. Spent quite a bit of time getting the head spacing correct and finding ammo it liked but was having fun.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could walk into almost any pawn shop and pick up a Ruger 10/22 for just over $100.00 and Marlin 60's were $75 to $100. Really wasn't that long ago, I have a 90% 60's 10/22 I paid $125.00 for and a stainless Marlin 60 I bought for $50 because it had a broken trigger guard. Now you see stuff like a Browning pistol listed for $125.00 over what you can buy a new one for and any 10/22 asking price is over $250.00. Glad I got when the gettin was good.

Things one thinks about when you can't sleep.
Bought my first 10-22 back in the 80's at a Big 5 on sale for $119, I can still remember back in the early 50's my grandmother giving me 50 cents to go down to the hardware store to buy a box of 22's so I could shoot the crows and other berry robber's out of her cherry trees, I was eight years old then, now a days a kid would get throwed out of the store if he tried something like that.........yes, the times sure have changed.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought my first 10-22 back in the 80's at a Big 5 on sale for $119, I can still remember back in the early 50's my grandmother giving me 50 cents to go down to the hardware store to buy a box of 22's so I could shoot the crows and other berry robber's out of her cherry trees, I was eight years old then, now a days a kid would get throwed out of the store if he tried something like that.........yes, the times sure have changed.
I still have my first 10-22 that was actually my dad’s Christmas gift when I was young. I believe it was $99 at Kmart. That same year I was given my first single shot 22. It was a copy of an Springfield 120a. Unfortunately as a dumb 18 year old I sold it for $75….

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot my first 10/22 ruger in the mid 60's.....my best friend had one and I remember it was a blast to shoot. The rotary mag was super new and cool at that time. I love rugers....I have a 10/22 and 4 p89's.....I have Hk, Glock and other pistols but I enjoy the P89's because they always work and fit my hand nicely.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot my first 10/22 ruger in the mid 60's.....my best friend had one and I remember it was a blast to shoot. The rotary mag was super new and cool at that time. I love rugers....I have a 10/22 and 4 p89's.....I have Hk, Glock and other pistols but I enjoy the P89's because they always work and fit my hand nicely.
P89 is the only auto I like from Ruger. Kind of a classic. Maybe apex will make a trigger for them and they’ll become popular.

Latest posts

Top Bottom