Remington 1187 Wood Forend Crack Repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody know of someone who can repair this? It’s not just cosmetic, forend slides toward trigger when shotgun is fired. Repair would have to withstand the recoil.
I have had this shotgun for 18 years. It cracked after about a year of ownership. I replaced the entire stock with black synthetic. I would like to get it back to the original wood look if possible.
I have no luck finding a replacement in walnut with a flat satin finish.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• 2C48C8AE-AC58-4842-ACD6-F64C3699F13D.jpeg
    2C48C8AE-AC58-4842-ACD6-F64C3699F13D.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 125
  • E8261AD6-542D-4E99-816A-A37A23F9343C.jpeg
    E8261AD6-542D-4E99-816A-A37A23F9343C.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 115

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anybody know of someone who can repair this? It’s not just cosmetic, forend slides toward trigger when shotgun is fired. Repair would have to withstand the recoil.
I have had this shotgun for 18 years. It cracked after about a year of ownership. I replaced the entire stock with black synthetic. I would like to get it back to the original wood look if possible.

Thanks all.
You can squirt wood glue into the crack (syringe perhaps?) and then clamp it to close the crack (wipe off any excess). I'd recommend the waterproof variety.

Properly glued joints are actually stronger than wood. However, that doesnt mean the stock won't crack again in an adjacent spot if recoil is more than the design can handle.

Not sure that helps much, but it's all I got. :anyone:
:drunk2:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks all.

I stick to working just on my own. To much liability working on someone else's that I don't want to get into.

That being said, get a small container of hide glue. Warm a small amount until it's thin and then dab it in the crack (toothpick works) while carefully working the crack open and closed. It will suck the glue into the crack.

If you want the reinforce it further with minimal invasiveness, look into headless micro Brad nails.

To hold it until the glue dries you can put a piece of paper (no newspaper or anything with printing, it may transfer) or cling wrap around the fore end and than tightly wrap it in electrical tape to hold it in place.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom