Remington 597

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Howdy y'all. I've been investing in guns lately, and a trip to Walmart last night introduced me to a sweet little Remington 597 with a camo synthetic stock for $157. I had been looking at a Ruger 10/22 for plinking and to let my girlfriend carry around when we're in the woods, but this deal seems pretty good. I had the money ready for the Ruger, so the Remy would actually give me some breathing room for a scope. I've heard about past problems with the mags, but has the feeding problem been pretty much resolved?

skippy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i own one and the only prob i had was with an aftermarket 30 rd clip but after the spring broke in it seemed to work just fine. i love my 597 added a collapseable bipod and have not looked back since ;) IMO you cant go wrong with this little rifle

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most certainly like mine.
have left it stone stock except a bipod on the forarm.........Did have a scope place on her. Really like it.
No problems with either the stock mags or the 30 rd banana clip.
Havent found any ammo issues, it has taken everything I have fed it including some 30yoa otasco:woot: lr I found in the garage.

I guess that being said :uhwhat:I am pleased overall:sunbath:

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
happy with mine - my 8 year old step daughter picked it for her first rifle and loves it

I bought the Academy packaged one with a scope. It's a decent shooter and reliable. The first 2? generations had issues with magazines but I have heard nothing but good things since then.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an older one and have had problems with the feeding. Now I was about sixteen when I bought it and it has never been cleaned........and hasn't been shot in the last 5 or 6 years.....so my info isn't really valid. I believe I will get it out this weekend and clean it up.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had no problems with mine feeding. I had problems with my trigger assembly breaking as it had a pitiful design in the linkage. It broke right after it went out of warranty and they wouldn't fix it.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up the one with the camo synthetic stock at Walmart last night for $177. I got paid again today so I'll buy a Tasco scope tomorrow and get some trigger time. Thanks guys.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wanted to update y'all on the 597. I put about 500 rounds through it yesterday, and I'm totally pleased with it. I put a Tasco 3-9x-50mm on top of it and got it zeroed within minutes. It's a blast to shoot, and I love not having to dish out big bucks for ammo. In the 500 shots, it jammed maybe a dozen times. Mainly with Remington Gold Bullets. I didn't have a single problem with Federal, and I didn't get a chance to try out my Winchester ammo. But there was never a feeding problem, which was my biggest fear. I'd recommend getting a Remington 597!

Latest posts

Top Bottom