Remington 870 or 1100? Which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you were in the market for a shotgun to use as an HD or SHTF style shotgun...which would you go with? Which one has more aftermarket accessories available? I'm not looking to buy new, but I have a couple of trade offers.

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had my 1100 for 30 years now(dang I'm getting old)... been hunting with it just about every year and skeet/trap in the off season or just for fun. It's never failed me... ever!

b52fizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 870 has a plethora of add ons and upgrades, extreme reliability, sure the 1100 is just the same just never handled one, thought about it myself but would still have one 870 behind the door and my PG 870 by my side, besides pumps just sound cooler!

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
870 for sure. I've had an 870 for probably 17 years (since I was 10) and fired thousands of rounds and never a hitch. It may get dirty, but that's it.

My dad has had his since he was 15 (now 50), and he swears by it.

We also like our 1100's, but for your reasons I would say 870 all the way.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
870 once agin for what you stated of it's intended purpouse. 1100's are awesome but I'd bed you can find an 870 for allot less. Besides you cannot beat the reliability of a 870. Good luck.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to agree with the 870. Simple as simple gets.Accurate as you are with the rounds you use (within reason say out to 150 yds with rifled slugs) Runs like a top and is really really easy to maintain with the basic of tools. In the event of the worst case scenario thats the one firearm I would not hesitate to use. I would take it over any other firearm out there.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
870 for HD. Both are great guns. I have shot semi-autos for many years, and O/U, and pumps. Every semi-auto I own has jammed to some degree at one time or another. sometimes failure to eject, sometime failure to cycle/load and although it may not take much time to correct it could make a difference in HD.

also i have a lot of respect for mossberg pumps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom