Remington 870 or 1100? Which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was down at Franson Firearms today and he has two in stock on the rack. Nice looking pumps.

I've never owned an 870 but I don't argue about their popularity and reliability. I might have to get one just for posterity. I've had one 1100 that never failed me. I bought a replacement barrel with screw in chokes for it and loved it. I think part of it for me is that I grew up shooting side by side and over under guns and so never got used to the pump action until I was an adult. I had a BPS once and ended up never shooting it even, always preferring something else.

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive never shot a 870, but I love my 1100 and have never had a FTF or FTE with it. However, I wouldnt chose it for HD. I would go with a Beneli, Mossberg or even a Saiga over an 870 for home defense especially. Just my opinion.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have an 1100, and compared to my F-i-L's 870 it is a tank in the weight department. I have no intention of parting with the 1100, but I do want to add an 870 for HD purposes.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1100 vs 870 is sortof like revolver vs semiauto: both have pros and cons
You should handle each to see what you like: including Mossberg.

P.S. I know it's a taboo to say, but IMHO Remington 870 is overall poorly designed shotgun compared to 500 and yet demands premium for some reason:
- safety is unoperable
- slide release is unoperable
- shell lifter is a chinese finger trap
All those are ok for recreational shooting, but either one is a deal breaker for HD, why it is so popular is beyond me.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An 1100 is out of action if the neoprene "O" ring cracks, due to age or loss during cleaning.

An 870, particularly the Police version, is more bullet proof durable. There are some mod's that some will do to them to make them even more bullet proof. Don't rule out the Mossberg 590A1 as a top-tier choice for a serious HD or SHTF tool; do a search on them.

870WingBlaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I the only guy who HATES the little silver safety thing on the 1100 where you feed the shells into the tube? The 870 doesn't have that piece of junk. It makes loading the 1100 much more challenging.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My 870 was a pain to load quickly and would have extraction issues with slugs/buckshot every so often. This disqualifies them for anything other than plinking/bird hunting.

Look at a Nova if you want a pump, they're not that much more expensive than an 870 and are a dream to load and shoot.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 870 was a pain to load quickly and would have extraction issues with slugs/buckshot every so often. This disqualifies them for anything other than plinking/bird hunting.

Not trying to be disrespectful, but you do realize that ten's of thousand's of 870 have been in military and law enforcement use for a good many years and have been very reliable. The fact that your 1 particular gun had some loading/extraction issues does not mean that it "disqualifies them for anything other than plinking/bird hunting".

Latest posts

Top Bottom