Remington magazine plug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just bought a Remington 11-48 from Yukon XL on here and have a question. It needs a plug to limit it to the legal two shells. Will one from an 1100 or 870 work? I'm guessing it should work I can't imagine there's a big difference but thought maybe someone would know. I guess I could always cut a dowel rod down but I like the plastic as it doesn't rattle around.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a pinch, I’ve used sticks after getting out to where I was hunting and realizing I left the plug out. I don’t see why one from another comparable gauge shotgun wouldn’t, if I’m not mistaken most shotgun plugs are universal.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive always use either a wooden pencil, dowel rod cut down or a weed/tree limb cut down to size never used a factory plug and have only seen one in my life and it was a old wooden one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Winchester Model 12’s will hold 6 in the magazine so will need a longer plug.
My sweet 16 came with a custom wood plug stamped Belgium.
Shotguns chambered for 3” or 3.5” shells will need a custom plug.
I once cut a plug for my 1100 Rem from a green limb and didn’t take it out after the hunt.
The moisture rusted the magazine tube and spring so badly over the winter I had to buy replacement parts.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
fully load the mag, then remove the shells until only 2 are left, measure the shells removed (end yo end) and cut a dowel (pencil, etc.) to that length and drop in in from the top of the mag tube.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got all the factory plugs that came with what needs a plug, but ...................... I generally use the handle off of a wooden spoon. You can buy a sack full of them for a couple bucks, and they won't break like a pencil sometimes will when a lot of pressure is put on them by a Game Warden that's a d***head.

edit - and if cost or availability (like, I gotta have it right now cause I'm leaving in 10 minutes) is an issue, I bet there's one in a jar or a drawer in your kitchen that your wife will never miss. Pro tip - take the spoon part with you and don't toss it in the trash where it can be found later by someone that is missing her favorite wooden spoon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom