Replace mainspring in a SIG P6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindOne

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I replaced the original mainspring in my 1979 SIG P6 today. I replaced it with a reduced power Wolff 22Lb spring For a 225. I ordered to standard 24Lb spring too, but went with the reduced power spring. Getting the old one out was easy. Getting the new one on the hammer strut was a chore to say the least! I ended up after almost a half a day finding the retain pin I lost on th garage floor. I ended up after many other failed attempts using a cable tie to compress it and the retaining plate enough on the strut to get the roll pin back in it. The cable tie is the way to go. If I have to put the full power 24Lb spring in it will be easy.

Anyone got a better way, I open to suggestions? Also what power of spring do you recommend? What is the P6 factory spring weight?

BlindOne

My feedback:
http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18387&highlight=blindone

30BC5CB6-68B0-40FD-867E-8351DFA27DFD.jpeg

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, all I can tell you is I learned the hard way to do that kinda work with the gun and my hands inside a big clear plastic bag. I can't begin tell you how many tiny pins and springs are out there in limbo somewhere. Don't you just hate it when you hear "Click! Sproing!" and you know your chance of finding it is slim to none?

BlindOne

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, all I can tell you is I learned the hard way to do that kinda work with the gun and my hands inside a big clear plastic bag. I can't begin tell you how many tiny pins and springs are out there in limbo somewhere. Don't you just hate it when you hear "Click! Sproing!" and you know your chance of finding it is slim to none?
Yes I do, it happened today in the garage where I was trying to compress the spring in a vise and was just putting the roll pin Back in and “Click! Sproing!" out of my needle nose pliers flew the pin. Now my garage is cluttered and the floor is not conducive to finding things on it especially one that an eight of an inch long. I incorporated the wife in the hunt and was about to give up and God blessed me as I was getting up I felt something under my palm and bam it was the roll pin!

BlindOne

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did a batch of p6’s back in the day, I don’t recall them being particularly hard to install. I seem to recall that if you rotate the hammer past full cock it will be easier to seat it.
Seating the hammer strut was easy. It’s compressing the spring onto the strut and through the main spring seat and installing the retaining roll pin. After that it’s fairly easy. But I’m not a gunsmith and it’s my first one and I only have two hands when I need four. Lol

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I replaced the original mainspring in my 1979 SIG P6 today. I replaced it with a reduced power Wolff 22Lb spring For a 225. I ordered to standard 24Lb spring too, but went with the reduced power spring. Getting the old one out was easy. Getting the new one on the hammer strut was a chore to say the least! I ended up after almost a half a day finding the retain pin I lost on th garage floor. I ended up after many other failed attempts using a cable tie to compress it and the retaining plate enough on the strut to get the roll pin back in it. The cable tie is the way to go. If I have to put the full power 24Lb spring in it will be easy.

Anyone got a better way, I open to suggestions? Also what power of spring do you recommend? What is the P6 factory spring weight?

BlindOne

My feedback:
http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18387&highlight=blindone

View attachment 168417

Very nice looking P6.

I believe that the factory mainspring weight is 24 lbs on a P6 while the P225 is supposedly 18 lbs. 22 or 24 lbs on the replacement springs is overkill...most people run 18 or 19 lbs with 100% ignition. Throw an 18 lb mainspring, Grayguns SRT, with a C&S sear spring and you'll have a great 3 lb SA / 10 lb DA trigger.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
And them suckers are air soluble too!

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seating the hammer strut was easy. It’s compressing the spring onto the strut and through the main spring seat and installing the retaining roll pin. After that it’s fairly easy. But I’m not a gunsmith and it’s my first one and I only have two hands when I need four. Lol
Oh yes. Clamp that sucker in a bench vise, compress it w needle nose vise grips so the hole is clear then use pliers to press the pin in

Latest posts

Top Bottom