1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Replacing the F-150

Discussion in 'Gearheads' started by TheDoubleD, Jan 12, 2021.

1. TheDoubleD

TheDoubleD Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Well it is a new tax year and all the money I pull from the IRA now goes against 2021 tax bill.

As Posted else where my 19 year F-150 has passed away from old age-transmission failed. A $4000 repair required of a $5000 truck

Wife and I have been discussing and looking at a replacement. This would our home errand and outdoor recreation vehicle.

What ever we get has to be able to pull a flat trailer with 1000 lb atv and a 850 lb bowling ball mortar. Bonus would the ability to haul sheet of plywood home from Lowes every once in a while. Current vehicle has a topper, wife doesn't want one.

Dear Sweet Wife tossed out the idea of maybe instead of an F-150 and Explorer-either 2020 or 2021.

I see most of those listed have 2.5L Ecoboost. Most are just listed with a automatic transmission.

Will that combination pull my trailer? Will a sheet of plywood fit in the back of an Explorer?

2. Capm_Spaulding

Capm_Spaulding Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The explorer shares a platform with the Ford Taurus. I think it could do most of what you’d want of it, but really not much more. An F150s full extent would be pretty underutilized, and an explorer’s would be near max. That said, my neighbor used a newer model Ford Edge to tow his 5x7 many times with all sorts of stuff in it and never seemed to have a problem. The torque in a turbo charged engine really shines for hauling.

You can probably find some videos on YouTube showing real world experience too. The dealers will tell you whatever you want to hear as I’m sure you know.

dennishoddy likes this.
  3. TheDoubleD

TheDoubleD Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I have an Edge, a full sheet of plywood will not fit in the back. Will it fit in an Explorer.

My trailer is 12 x 8.

4. tyromeo55

tyromeo55 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    People are finding pretty good deals on trucks right now. I bought an almost new RAM for 10k under sticker. It Is certified with a better warranty then a new one.

ford has kinda lost favor in our family

brothers 2018 ecoboost has had so many tranny and turbo problem he gave it back

dads 2019 coyote engine in his truck burns a quart every 1000 miles

Wife and I had the major problem with our 14 explorer leaking exhaust into the cabin under acceleration. Took the engine out twice in an attempt to repair. Always came back and the moment it was out of warranty that was it. Even though it is well document and a health hazard. Same problem that has killed a couple troopers. Best part.... more then one of the loaners did the same thing

Capm_Spaulding likes this.
  5. k4ylr

k4ylr Sharpshooter

The only answer is CYBERTRUCK!

[​IMG]

I believe the 2020/21 Exploders can fit a full sheet. The 2.3L T4 motor is a good motor and should serve well as a daily driver.

6. O4L

O4L Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    If you're asking if you can get a full 4'x8' sheet if plywood in the back and shut the tailgate, I seriously doubt it.

Driving a SUV with the tailgate open is not a very good idea.

7. Okie4570

Okie4570 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Manual transmissions in trucks are "old technology" and rarely if ever will you see them anymore. Autos have a higher tow rating and better mpg. Ford super duty doesn't offer a manual with either the gas or diesel engines.

dennishoddy likes this.
  8. p238shooter

p238shooter Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I would consider purchasing what would work for most of your driving that would still pull your trailer. For those few times you need to haul your 4x8 sheet, load up the trailer (yes occasionally overkill) to get what you need. The rest of the time you have what fits you most of the time.

9. Louro

Louro Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    If the plywood don't fit inside do what I do. OIP.jpg

10. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Not the current Explorer. It's on a new RWD unibody platform.