replica mauser sniper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a yugo M48 That I want to add a ZF39 Reproduction Scope to with low turet mount rings for that sniper look.
Anyone know where in the okc area where I can have these rings installed. I have not purchased them yet waiting to hear if they will work for sure & trying to get my ducks in a row

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might call Steve Baldwin at Mechanical Accuracy in Jones. His number is 405 399 2875. He is a very competent smith. I don't think he's much into milsurps, but he should be able to drill the receiver and mount the bases.

I have seen some mounting systems that use the rear sight base, but don't know whether your specific rifle is a candidate. This keeps one from having to drill holes in the receiver.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know where you plan to get the mounts, but check out www.accumounts.com if you haven't already. He's got some good stuff there. There is a section for yugo mausers but go to k98 to find the low turret mounts.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought repro mounts and scope a few years ago. My guy drilled and tapped the side of a 98 for me, and said he'd never do another. (no jig to align) After using the setup, it became very apparent the scope was pretty low-quality as far as optics. If I were to do another, I think I'd try to get a genuine Soviet scope. They are fairly easy to come by, and much better than the repro German ones.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought repro mounts and scope a few years ago. My guy drilled and tapped the side of a 98 for me, and said he'd never do another. (no jig to align) After using the setup, it became very apparent the scope was pretty low-quality as far as optics. If I were to do another, I think I'd try to get a genuine Soviet scope. They are fairly easy to come by, and much better than the repro German ones.

Are you mixing Mosins and Mausers? I am not familiar with German sniper configurations, so some may mount on the side like the PU Sniper.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I'm mixing them, but it's intentional. The PU scope looks good on a Mauser, closer to milsurp than an aftermarket. If you just want one to hang on the wall, the repro German ones are fine.
I just won't have something that won't shoot, and for what they get for a repro German scope, you can get a higher quality genuine Soviet scope that works well.
The German repros are made in some $$&$& country and are not Zeiss quality. I wish Leupold or someone worthy of the task would make a good German repro. BTW - the 98 I butchered for my project was a Yugo captured K98, so the commies had removed the original code marking from the receiver. (they missed a bunch of Waffenampts, though) I wouldn't butcher a good, Nazi-proofed 98. Might as well set your money on fire.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at the German repro scopes they don't seem to have the quality for the $$
any other suggestions for a scope

you mean like this for a zrak

m48scopeclose.jpg