Repurposed File

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Made a knife out of a wood rasp.
Annealed in the wifes oven!! Works great stays sharp and I can use the rasp part to make kindling for a fire.
The rasp had a rounded side and a flat side so it has an odd shape but it is still pretty cool.
f82f6d1bb05ec143ad704ef19e61b90a.jpg
b1d728277ff95e8b2b7e8e4ebba3f0b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is cool
Thanks guys.
I don’t have the skills or equipment to do it, but I always liked the idea of a machete from a car leaf spring.

I made one years ago from a leaf spring in fact I made dozens of leaf spring knifes.
Here is the 2 handed machete that has seen many years of use.
I made a leather sheath also.
Around the same time I made this from the same car leaf a 69 camaro.
Serpent knife I call it. Good fire poker and makes a nice small splitter of wood.
001.JPG
003.JPG

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I quenched my knives in trans fluid a big deep pan of it.
Then check hardness it should not be able to be bitten by a file.
I then remove all carburazation (spelling) and polish the knife and de-grease it and into the regular oven at 375-400 degrees to temper it.
I watch for the knife steel to change colors.
It will be grey after some time in the oven then turn light straw and then medium straw and then dark straw.
I like light to medium straw color I read years ago in a book that should be in the Rockwell 56-58 C scale hardness.
Then I turn the oven off and let it cool all the way down and finish out the edge.

I have had no issues like that and they do hold an edge very well.
If you grind the file just right you can take some hardness out of it . Get sanding pads on an angle grinder and you can turn the steel blue. You just took some hardness out of it.

I do not like to go full blue though.

Fun to play even if you get a fail.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I quenched my knives in trans fluid a big deep pan of it.
Then check hardness it should not be able to be bitten by a file.
I then remove all carburazation (spelling) and polish the knife and de-grease it and into the regular oven at 375-400 degrees to temper it.
I watch for the knife steel to change colors.
It will be grey after some time in the oven then turn light straw and then medium straw and then dark straw.
I like light to medium straw color I read years ago in a book that should be in the Rockwell 56-58 C scale hardness.
Then I turn the oven off and let it cool all the way down and finish out the edge.

I have had no issues like that and they do hold an edge very well.
If you grind the file just right you can take some hardness out of it . Get sanding pads on an angle grinder and you can turn the steel blue. You just took some hardness out of it.

I do not like to go full blue though.

Fun to play even if you get a fail.

I really enjoyed the whole process of making the file knife and that led to repairing a few western hunting knives. Bought a sander and once I get done with repairs around the house and get my bumper pull camper complete I will make a couple more.
Had a conversation with someone a while back and told them "I am not a knife guy" Well I got to looking around and realized I may be full of the bull LOL!! Will post some more pics with my phone !

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might be.
I used to make myself a new knife each year for deer season.
I am not a collector of anything except bargains and projects.

My idea of a knife guy is someone that goes out of his way to find certain knifes and hits gun and knife shows for the knifes.
I have a feeling you just happen upon a good deal and like building things also.
So more of a wattabargain guy.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be.
I used to make myself a new knife each year for deer season.
I am not a collector of anything except bargains and projects.

My idea of a knife guy is someone that goes out of his way to find certain knifes and hits gun and knife shows for the knifes.
I have a feeling you just happen upon a good deal and like building things also.
So more of a wattabargain guy.

Your right and I come from a poor back ground and really do not throw much away or sell it once I have it.!! Had a mild hoarding issue for a long time , finally really had to make a few rules about keeping and trashing or selling stuff. May need to apply that rule to a couple of these knives!!!:grumble::cool:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a buck knife from the old days when they all rockwelled a solid 60.
If I can use the point to scratch steel, it’s less than a 60. If it just slides over the surface without leaving a mark it’s harder than a 60.
Poor mans metallurgy 101.

Latest posts

Top Bottom