resetting sling stud

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a '72 Winchester 94 at an auction for a decent price. It had been bubba'd a little and the thing that bugs me the most is the sling stud in the butt-stock. It was mounted off center and at a goofy angle. Looking for suggestions on how to fix it. Considering filling the hole with epoxy.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before doing so I would see if the sling stud position works better than the normal position. The guy might have customized it for his particular usage. Maybe the traditional all in line with the gun is aesthetically pleasing but didn't function.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a wood-working guy, but I've heard the best way to fill a hole is with a mixture of wood glue and sawdust from the same piece of wood so it matches. You should able to get some shavings/sawdust under the butt-plate (drill some tiny holes) if you want to try this.

But I'd wait for some of the wood-working guys to chime in first.
:drunk2:

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a wood-working guy, but I've heard the best way to fill a hole is with a mixture of wood glue and sawdust from the same piece of wood so it matches. You should able to get some shavings/sawdust under the butt-plate (drill some tiny holes) if you want to try this.

But I'd wait for some of the wood-working guys to chime in first.
:drunk2:

This works well with saw dust from a sander or sand paper, drill bit shavings are probably not fine/small enough for this to work and look correct. While it is structurally sound, It also will not have the “finish” that the wood stock has and will not take/absorb stain well because of the glue.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the rest to God.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a '72 Winchester 94 at an auction for a decent price. It had been bubba'd a little and the thing that bugs me the most is the sling stud in the butt-stock. It was mounted off center and at a goofy angle. Looking for suggestions on how to fix it. Considering filling the hole with epoxy.
The old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words " may apply here.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I do plan on putting the stud back in. It will cover most of the old hole if I come up the same distance from the toe of the stock....which does seem to be about the only thing they got right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom