Restored Western Knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had one like this long ago and saw this one in an auction so I picked it up. Had lots of pitting and a few nicks in the blade but I went to work on it a little at a time. It's beautiful now. I love the grip and the full tang. Fits my hand like a glove. Did well apexing the blade and she's pretty sharp. I'm not done because I love working on it. Last thing will be come mothers wax and buffing once I'm down to a 800/1000 grit.
Original sheath and made to carry.
knife 1.jpg
Knife 2.jpg
Knife 3.jpg
Knife 4.jpg
Knife 5.jpg

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@steelfingers Western made some really good knives back in the day.

I've got two Western W-49 bowies (they are a big heavy knife, the blade 9 3/4" long...2" wide and the OAL is 14 3/4") on wood display stands that I can glance over and look at as I peck this......one is a 1977 and the other is a 1981 and both are pre-Coleman with the drop loop sheaths.

Although not a issue item some of our field troops purchased the W-49's from the PX and carried them in Vietnam back in the 60's and early 70's......I preferred something lighter and less bulky and I was able to scrounge up a Ka-Bar.

WBB.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom