Retro AR (again)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been a few years since the last retro AR thread so I thought I'd start a new one.
For some reason I have to bug to acquire a retro AR, like a 601/602/603/M16E1. Brownell's was making retro ARs for a while but I was always short of funds and they have discontinued them.
A lot of the information I find seems pretty old.
Does anyone have recent experience buying or assembling a retro AR and any advice?
Is retrorifles.com good to go? Nodakspud? Fulton armory? Somewhere else?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why? Nostalgia or you just like cleaning gas ports, jamming BCG's, and getting the hotdog holder flash hider caught in shrubbery? With all the new technology that has improved them I'm just wondering why.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why? Nostalgia or you just like cleaning gas ports, jamming BCG's, and getting the hotdog holder flash hider caught in shrubbery? With all the new technology that has improved them I'm just wondering why.

Why not? I use M193 55 grain ammo. I won't be carrying it through the jungle. Rifle length gas systems have a softer recoil impulse. It's unlikely I'll ever try to shoot it past 300 meters, so stabilizing heavier bullets for longer range isn't an issue. I like the old style triangular hand guard and fixed stock.

Do those of you that own a retro AR have any regrets?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not? I use M193 55 grain ammo. I won't be carrying it through the jungle. Rifle length gas systems have a softer recoil impulse. It's unlikely I'll ever try to shoot it past 300 meters, so stabilizing heavier bullets for longer range isn't an issue. I like the old style triangular hand guard and fixed stock.

You answered my question. Thanks!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Just curious... do you want to try and get as possibly close to a retro AR as you can or do you just want an A1/A2 stock, triangular handgaurd, carry handle, etc? Is a removable carry handle okay?

In other words, would you be happy with the retro look or are you wanting a close replica?

Latest posts

Top Bottom