Returning to OK, use out of state carry permit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rharp002

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
3 years ago work relocated me to IN, and now I'm finally getting to come back. I hold a FL CWL (concealed weapons licence) and IN LTCH (licence to carry a handgun); IN is an open/concealed state. Since OK will recognize valid out of state permits (IN is valid for non-residents) I read that I will be able to use the reciprocity of my existing permits to open or concealed carry in OK until such time as I can get my OK permit.

Does that sound right to those more familiar with the OK rules? I've been digging around the OSBi website and picked up this from the FAQ, but it's unclear if the out of state rules apply to OK residents or just visitors.

Can I carry in Oklahoma if I have a license from another state?

Oklahoma recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state.
If you are from a state that allows you to carry a handgun but does not issue permits or licenses, Oklahoma reciprocates under the permitting law of your state.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is your problem: Oklahoma recognizes other state's permits AS LONG AS THEY REMAIN VALID, and Indiana's does NOT stay valid when you do not live in INdiana, except under special circumstances, like operating a business in Indiana. You need this website for links to all state's laws: handgunlaw.us

Indiana Law:

IC 35-47-2-4

(f)
The superintendent may not issue a lifetime qualified license or a lifetime unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state. The superintendent may issue a four (4) year qualified license or a four (4) year unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state and who has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana as described in section 3(a)(3) of this chapter.

---------------------------------------------

So, NO, the Indiana license will not cover you for the transition, BUT the Florida License WILL. You need to notify Florida of your new Oklahoma address ASAP. AND you need to return your Indiana license as soon as you are no longer an IN resident, no matter what the expiration date shown on the license.
You can keep the Florida license current for as long as you wish to keep renewing it, and it will remain valid. (I too have a current FL license)
https://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_LAW_BOOK.pdf
Having taught CCW in several states, I suggest you use the link above. Every state's laws are different.

QUOTE: SDA Section 1290.26
The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state, or if the state is a nonpermitting carry state, this state shall reciprocate under the permitting law of that state.

A. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed or unconcealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must either be carried unconcealed or concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state.

B. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority of a state that is a nonpermitted carry state and the person is in compliance with the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the person is authorized to carry a concealed firearm in this state. The firearm must be carried fully concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to the nonpermitting laws of the state in which he or she is a legal resident. The person shall present proper identification by a valid photo ID as proof that he or she is a legal resident in such a non-permitting state. The Department of Public Safety shall keep a current list of non-permitting states for law enforcement officers to confirm that a state is nonpermitting.

C. Any person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older having a valid firearm license from another state may apply for a handgun license in this state immediately upon establishing a residence in this state.

Last edited:

rharp002

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Except my IN remains valid because I have a regular place of business in IN. My main office is there.

Appreciate the input folks. I'll still look into the IN validity to be sure.

rharp002

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think Oklahoma will recognize out of state permits once you become an Oklahoma resident (e.g. if you obtain an Oklahoma drivers license or other state-issued ID), unless perhaps you're active military and stationed here.

Otherwise, we could just get non-resident permits from other states and forget about having an Oklahoma permit.

That was my thought process, although the SDA does not explicitly call this out. The "any person entering this state" could suggest someone who is to leave at some point (ie non-resident) but there's a greay area. I will be applying for my OK permit as soon as I move, but there's the processing time and scheduling of that damn class that could leave me disarmed otherwise.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was my thought process, although the SDA does not explicitly call this out. The "any person entering this state" could suggest someone who is to leave at some point (ie non-resident) but there's a greay area. I will be applying for my OK permit as soon as I move, but there's the processing time and scheduling of that damn class that could leave me disarmed otherwise.
Good luck on that. I'm at my 80 day mark waiting for mine. It's in the mail they say.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think Oklahoma will recognize out of state permits once you become an Oklahoma resident (e.g. if you obtain an Oklahoma drivers license or other state-issued ID), unless perhaps you're active military and stationed here.

Otherwise, we could just get non-resident permits from other states and forget about having an Oklahoma permit.

When I was teaching the Utah classes in 2006, several people kept posting this information/opinion. One kept posting "The OSBI will not honor out of state licenses for OK residents."
That was wrong then, and it is still wrong, per the OSBI. Read the follow email response from Lt Brown:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jessica Brown
<
[email protected]
>
Subject:
RE: SDA reciprocity
Date:
08/08/2006 08:22
To: (rodsnell's email)

It is not up to theOSBI. Individual states have to make that decision. Oklahoma honors all other state's gun permits.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gary Slider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my 20 years of cataloging the states firearms laws I have ask numerous times and looked many times myself and have never come across a case where a person was just charged with just breaking the GFSZ Act. I have seen people charged with it but every case I have seen they were also charged with other crimes involving the school property or near the school. It is the same as the 1000 foot rule on selling drugs. They are charged with selling drugs and then the add on charge of being within 1000 foot of a school when selling them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom