Rifle build for the kiddo to hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna put together an AR for the kid to deer hunt with so I can get the recoil down and the stock we can adjust to fit. Most of our shots are 50-75 yards, would you guys go with a 300BO, 6.5 Grendal, 6.8 SPC.....?

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna put together an AR for the kid to deer hunt with so I can get the recoil down and the stock we can adjust to fit. Most of our shots are 50-75 yards, would you guys go with a 300BO, 6.5 Grendal, 6.8 SPC.....?
Go with the Grendel or SPC, it will grow with him and I see a lot of 300 black for sell, it is not a distance round and sooner than you think kiddo is going to be stretching the 50-75 yards. Time flies with kiddos !!:cool:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plenty of reading here about bullet performance at different velocities. Possibly more than you want to read.
https://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?33178-6-8-SPC-Bullet-Performance

A new thread about factory hunting rounds and different characteristics of each.
https://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?133801-Factory-ammo-for-hunting

Link to links for different bullet reviews.
https://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?26992-6-8-SPC-Bullet-Reviews

Shortened version of all of the reading above for factory hunting ammo:
Federal Fusion 115 grain soft point. It is a bonded bullet that will do a lot of internal damage but hold together and pass through.

Sellier & Bellot 110 grain PTS. Different opinions about this bullet. In some of the links above it tested pretty thoroughly. It is very accurate more often than not. The bullet holds together better than the Hornady SST. I use the S&B 110 grain PTS for hog hunting and have killed literally tons. I use it for deer hunting and even let others use my gun when they are with me. I see plenty of internal damage and pass thru. Deer drop within sight. I don't see a lot of bullet fragmenting in the meat.

Hornady 110 grain SST. I have a few boxes left, but its not in my hunting line up anymore. It killed just fine, but often left bullet fragments in far shoulder of deer and lots of bruising. What was left of bullet was often under the skin and didn't exit.

Federal XM68, 90 grain bonded soft point. Bullet holds together fine, but I preferred to shoot the S&B PTS to save the brass for reloading of my own.

Bullets for roll your own. I haven't reloaded for it yet, but I am convinced to try the Cavity Back Bullets in the 105 grain MKZ. They expand at the widest velocity ranges of all bullets. The bullet expands with 3 petals rolling back and cutting a nice exit hole similar some broadheads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom