Rifle rebarrel thoughts...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an older Rem 700 in 243 that I have kept around mainly for a project gun, and still hunt with it every now and then. I have considered rebarreling it a few times, but never can decide on a cartridge. I have considered 22-243, 260, one of the Lapua's, or even a fast twist 243. I am seriously thinking just going 260, for ease of finding dies and brass, although I do already have dies for the 22-243 & 243. Don't plan to go wild, just a "budget" build/rebarrel.

The gun already has a Timney trigger, and I honestly don't mind the factory stock thats on it. I don't need or want a big diameter and heavier barrel, the standard "pencil" barrels are sufficient for me. Optics will need upgraded, but probably something in the PST range will be used for that. A rifle that will handle a 1000ish yard range trip on occasion, but be light enough to take coyote hunting is what I'm hoping for.

Thoughts on barrel manufacturers, cartridges, gunsmiths, etc will be appreciated

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I moved this to the rifle page, and am not sure how to delete, if anyone can help/admin delete, I'd appreciate it...and if it needs to stay here, I can do that too